Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
CAV Switch Panel

Dennis Gibson wants to convert an Austin 12 type CAV Switch panel to an Austin Seven Style one.

These are pictures of the one for my Chummy, does anyone know how the two panels differ other than the markings for the lights etc?

Cheers

Ruairidh

Re: CAV Switch Panel

Hello Ruairidh.

I don't really know much about CAV Switch Panels, but I have a set of "Herbert and Butler" books here which provide details on most UK electrics up till about 1928 or so.

If Denis needs further info I would be pleased to see what is in them and scan for him

regards

Barry R

Re: CAV Switch Panel

I've just noticed these two items on e-bay realting to this discussion thread, small though it may be, one a CAV Switch Panel and the other a CAV cut out, they both described as A7 ones, they are in fact rather nice examples of Austin 12 ones.

Note the earthing point (middle thumb screw) on the Cut-out for the A12 wooden bulkhead and the "H" and "S&T" marking on the Switch Panel rather than "LTS" and "DIM".

They would be great for a Twelve though!!

Ruairidh

Re: Re: CAV Switch Panel

Thanks Barry,
As Ruairidh has stated, a lot of Austin 12 stuff is passed off as Austin 7. The original CAV switch panels are a bit hard to get hold of, but the ones for the 12 readily turn up. I am not too desperate for info at the moment (Ruairidh's pix have helped a lot), but if your books contain any specific details on the "DIM" model CAV switch panel, then I would be interested in a copy.

Thanks,
DG

Re: Re: CAV Switch Panel

Hello Gents,

It looks as though there were basically four types of "push-pull" switchboards produced by CAV.

No. 12 for double wired systems
No. 12A for single wired systems (eg Austin 12HP)
No. 12D for single wire three lamp systems incorporating a dimmer switch (ie Austin 7)
No. 12E as for 12D but with double wired circuits.

There is some other info in my references, and have emailed Denis to see what he wants, if any, of the references I have managed to find

Regards,
Barry R.