Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Tourer Hoods

Has anyone actually managed to fold a tourer hood nice and neatly following the instructions given in the handbook?
My handbook, No 619b dated October 1928, talks of " secure the two rear window fasteners on to the studs on the back of the body" and "Secure the cover by ................... the two fasteners on the back of the body"

As far as I can see, I haven't got 2 (or is it 4) studs on the back of the body and I have not managed to find any pictures showing this.
Can anyone help?

Re: Tourer Hoods

Hi Brian,

the following is from the handbook from my '28 Chummy, it doesn't mention the fastners you refer to but this is the way I successfully stow away the hood.

The second picture however(sent to me by Ian Moorcraft, published in the centre page sof the 2005B A7CA Magazine) clearly shows some popper type fastners at the top left corner of the rear sidescreen.

Not sure if this answers your question...

R

My handbook (352P, supplied with the car) says '... release it from the pillars of the windscreen, undo the buttons which secure it to the rear panel of the side screen, push the side screen inwards so that the rubber buffers fixed near the top of the division on the side screens clear the iron framework of the hood.....etc)

My hood (original) and sidescreens (also original) show no signs of any such buttons ever being fitted. I have seen these buttons on earlier cars so I assume that by the time my car was built, April '27, they had been deleted but the handbook had not yet been updated.
Martin

Re: Re: Tourer Hoods

Many thanks for the replies.
Ruairidh, my handbook is almost identical apart from the parts I mentioned about studs. If I can manage to post an image you will see what I mean. My car is one of the early coil engined ones and the handbook is for this model.

My Car is July '28 one of the last magneto engined cars.

The Handbook I have is number 619.

I have no idea if this is the correct handbok for the car.

Cheers

R

Re: Re: Tourer Hoods

I think I know what your handbook may be referring to, I once saw an original hood on a 1928 Chummy, In fact the only one I have ever seen for this particular year. It had two pieces of leather about a half inch wide and one and a quarter inches long formed to a point at the end, they were stitched to either side of the rear window (inside) and were clipped on to two lift-the-dot pegs on the rear aluminum beading of the body when the hood was folded, this as you can appreciate will keep the window away from the spare wheel were it rubs away at the Plexiglas. If you have like me tried to make a neat job of folding the hood you will find it impossible to replicate the drawing in the handbook!

Re: Re: Re: Tourer Hoods

Many thanks for the helpful (as always) replies. Ian, I don't suppose you can remember where on the widow surround the straps were fitted? Also, the handbook refers to securing the hood frame with the clip on either side. Any ideas as to what this refers to?
It also refers to securing the cover to the two fasteners on the back of the body. Would this be the same two fasteners that already have the window straps on them. Would it work with two items on the same fastener?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Tourer Hoods

Brian, As I remember it the leather straps fitted over the pegs (they just had a hole in them with no female lift-the-dot) the lift-the-dot on the hood bag fitted on top of them, so holding the lot in place, If your h/book is referring to ‘clips’ it will be talking about the later 28 (29 model) clip fasteners that replaced the bracket and strap of the earlier cars. As for the position of the strips, they just picked up on the two rows of stitching that held the window in place. They of course would be the same distance apart as the pegs that occupied the two screw positions on the aluminum beading.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tourer Hoods

Brian, Have just dug out some old photos of the day at BA7Cs Berkeley rally about 26 years ago that I saw the car with the original hood (and carpets as a matter of fact). I am pretty sure that it was parked next to me, if so it was YX1189, anyone know of it?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tourer Hoods

Many thanks Ian, that puts me in a dilemma as mine has the bracket & strap arrangement. I think that I may ignore the handbook and go for the version with the two straps that go down to the floor under the rear cushion, but then again.......