Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
If it wasn't a 7, what pre 1960 car would you have?

Often wondered what car I would have if it wasn't a Seven.
Often thought an Austin Atlantic convertible would be rather nice or possibly an Alvis Grey Lady. Both of these are rather more road user friendly than the 7 I feel.
What pre-1960 non exotic car would you go for? CW

Re: If it wasn't a 7, what pre 1960 car would you have?

Well . I'm in love with a 1903 7 H.P. Panhard Lavassor. I have just been offered the drive from London to Brighton this November. Wow! I am a bit nervous. I am going to get it started in a couple of weeks and learn to drive it... will put up a picture.

Considering the main attributes of the Seven for regular use being cheap to run, easy to repair and good availability of spares I would think the Issigonis Morris Minor would be the only viable alternative.

Re: Re: If it wasn't a 7, what pre 1960 car would you have?

Hi - Apologies if I sound like Dr. Doom, but as this is an Austin SEVEN site, I hope these pages don't become filled up with people's irrelevant dreams. This subject has already been well covered in the Association Mag. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: Re: If it wasn't a 7, what pre 1960 car would you have?

Hey Bill. I think this is fun.
Some of the cars I have thought about have a strand back to the seven.
What about the Morgan. Is this somehow tied to the A7 or is it MG. Today we have the Toyota Prius. Datsun started with an A7.
Seems like a vehicle with a less than 1 litre engine keeps coming back. I think that this less the 1 liters is a sweet spot. Quite a few cars today are in this catagory.
I am still amazed my A7 gets around 47 MPG (US) whereas my friends Prius gets about the same.
I have also noticed that larger diameter tires are IN.
As an engineer I am still impressed with the design of the 7. The metals at that time were terrible. Electricity was new. despite all this the car is like the ever ready bunny, "keeps going and going".

When I metion metal, I mean the aluminium is very porous and difficult to deal with, the cast iron had voids, and bearings were not high tollerance!!

Just some thoughts about who could do a better job than Austin and probably no one at the time

1926 Austin Twenty Tourer or 1928 Blown Bentley.

Mostly due to their low running costs and "cuteness"....

Ruairidh

Despite not ahving my 7 on the road..... yet!, i'm quite lucky to have my other pre 60 car on the road in the form of a '34 Frazer Nash TT rep.... the connection to A7s, Frazer Nash drove for the works A7 team.... but if i'm dreaming, it would have to be one of teh Birkin Blower Bentleys.... mmmmmmmmm!

A vintage Lea Francis - just like the one I have. I would move up to the supercharged Hyper version however.

STEVE

Re: Re: Re: Re: If it wasn't a 7, what pre 1960 car would you have?

Hello Steve,

Is this the same Steve Jones who lives in Whitley Bridge (or is it Eggborough)? I think you knew my Dad (Len Hodgson). I borrowed your trailer about 6 years ago to move an A7 to my Brother-in-laws. Didn't know you had a LeaF, which model is it?

I think I'd like a Moggy thou also, but it would have to be a convertible, and like the one I once saw in Pont d'Eveque in Normandy in 1994 - outwardly completely original, except the 5 1/2J rims. Under the bonnet was a Fiat Mirafiori 2 litre twin-cam. It had MGB front legs with disc brakes and a Toyota Celica 5 speed box.

Or a DB9.

1925 -30ish 25-30 RR saloon, fitted with amoden
overdrive just like a friends, so easy to drive
and very large grin factor, and must have a tow
bar.

but pockets to shallow, garage to small, bur one
day,

and yes lets share our dreams.

DAI

Hi All
My alternative to an A7 is a 1920's Austin Heavy 12/4. They have a more comfortable cruising speed for long trips. Fortunately I already have 2 of them to keep my Chummy company in the garage so I don't have to dream of owning one. I can't imagine owning a non Austin.
Cheers
Gordon

Strangely enough, I reckon the most desirable pre war car apart from an Austin Seven of course, would be a chain drive Nash, or maybe a really crude cycle car style special based on a GN. I dont however think they qualify for this thread as their price makes them "exotic" in my opinion!! I'm rather jealous to think Simon has one!!!

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: If it wasn't a 7, what pre 1960 car would you have?

The exWilliams Monarco GP winning Type 35B Bugatti,original unrestored sheer heaven.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If it wasn't a 7, what pre 1960 car would you have?

Yes Simon, the same. I remember your Dad so well and often think about him. His library was amazing and his garage equally so. I still have two photos he took of me on Drumhouse in 1999 on my office wall. The LeaF is a 12/40 P Type 4 Seat Tourer. I imagine Len would have had some bits to suit it. He had bits to suit most cars.

I've not seen Nadine for some time. Is she well? I assume she still lives in the same house? Email me on the above address.

STEVE

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: If it wasn't a 7, what pre 1960 car would you have?

Blast!, I wanted the type 35!

Despite having owned perfection (1928 Speed Six), I would like to have owned the 1936 SS100 that I ummmed and aweeed about in the late fifties at £200. These motors were treated with indifference then, but see them now!
Cheers, Dave.

I'm doing this the other way round.
I use a Morris Minor as an everyday car (we have a "modern" car that my wife uses) and a 1956 Austin A35 that I've had for years.
My first car was a 1953 Austin A30 (badged as an Austin Seven) given to me by my step grandfather when he stopped driving in early 1970's.
I've always had a soft spot for them hence buying the A35 many years ago for fun (although it was used everyday including several trips to France).
I always said I wouldn't sell the A35 unless I found an Austin Seven.
Early retirement on health grounds means limited funds so the only way that would happen is if I built a special out of misc parts as a complete car (I've always fancied a Ruby) is way beyond my means now.
The gift of L M (Bill) Williams book for Xmas has made me start realising that dream in 2007 (I'm 50 in July) so I now have a (completley) bare chassis, 4 speed gearbox and three bearing crankcase - thanks to eBay.
Needless to say the A35 is going to be sold idc to finance purchase / rebuild of further parts.

Paul Humphries.
Werrington,
Stoke-on-trent

A Type 35B Bugatti heaven to have fun in or an early Austin 20 Tourer to go on holiday in, 5 and luggage in a 12/4 is a wee bit too small..

If I can't have something exotic (and I think the ex Williams Type 35 is a bit exotic, David!) I rather fancy a Velorex. Quite exciting and to pacify Bill, not so much of a dream as a nightmare!

http://www.microcarmuseum.com/tour/velorex.html

Regards, Stuart

Stuart,

what an incredible website!

R

Not a car (or a motor bike really) but I've got a 'Velo Solex' - one of those french pushbikes with an engine on the front wheel.

Great fun, as long as you:
a) never want to go uphill
b) never want to go any faster than 23mph
d) enjoy getting 200 miles to the gallon

Oh, and I've got a 2CV van too.