Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Petrol Tank Identification

Hi,

Apologies if this is a very simple question, my seven knowledge is still quite limited but is this petrol tank from a seven and if so what variant?

Many thanks,

Rob

Re: Petrol Tank Identification

Definitely an early Austin Seven Tank, I believe from prior to 1928. The exact position of the filler neck was moved around this time.

Re: Re: Petrol Tank Identification

Hi Rob
Out of curiosity, is this fitted to a Super Accessories Special? I had one a few years back with the same type of tank set-up.

Dave

Hi Dave,
It is a super accessories special, though it doesn't look quite like this at the moment. These are photos taken quite some time before I got my hands on it and now the tank is missing. I'm trying to ascertain exactly what i should be looking for to replace it!
Cheers,
Rob

Hi Rob
My first reaction was 'what an ingenious use of existing material that came with the original car' but then I noticed the chassis has coupled brakes. The tank, with right hand filler, is proper to the magneto engined chassis, in production upto sometime in 28 as already said. I guess your chassis is a little later. If the tank is in the rear, where do you put your luggage?

Martin

I think you will find that the same tank was also used into 1929 and perhaps early 1930. My June 1929 RK saloon has the same tank.

Many thanks for the information, I will know what to look out for / ask for now.

Luggage will have to be limited to what will stuff down the back of the seats (when I've sourced some)I'm building it as a trials car so enough for a pair of waterproofs should hopefully suffice!

This tank was made after mid-1925 as the petrol outlet is nearer the edge of the tank than the mounting lug.

David

Rob - I don't know whether you have decided on a body or already have one, but I may have something that could help you. If that is of interest, perhaps you would care to mail me off list? cheers - Hugh

Doh - that was pretty stupid of me, wasn't it.... Of course you have a body!! All the best! Hugh