Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
AUSTIN SEVEN FUEL GAUGES - LATER TYPES

Thanks to everyone who has so far come back to me on my earlier request for info concerning fuel gauge details found in their 1932 to 1939 Austin Sevens.

I am now fairly confident that I have managed to identify the earlier "Minimum Sender Resitance = Empty types.

What I still have no evidence on is just when the change occurred from the so called G33 sytem (early gauges) to the Maximum Sender Resitance = Full type set up.(G35 System)

I am reasonably confident that the later type gauges had the Smiths "X42139" part number at the top of the dial face and were calibrated in "0, 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and F" scale markings. There may also have been "6V" on the middle part of the face in some cases.

Can anyone confirm that such a gauge is fitted to their car and if possible, the type of Tank Sender which goes with it please?

Does anyone know when the change in gauge systems took place. For Morris 8's it occurred circa June 1936 and I would expect that Austin would have made changes around that sort of time.

The additional code (like 2H1417) which apears variously on some gauges, with or without other markings, is apparently an Austin Part number.

Regards

Barry R