Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Wanted: Cylinder Head Gasket for Austin Thetis Marine Engine

Recently I have acquired a wooden sailing boat, built 1926 in England, which happens to be equipped with an Austin Thetis Marine Engine, believed built 1936, also believed to be of 17 hp. This engine apparently is the marine version of one of the Austin Seven or Ten car engines.
The engine is faulty due to a broken cylinder head gasket, whence I am looking for a replacement. The gasket bears part number AA760. The cylinder head bears three numbers: 31.5.8 , 1A911 , AF1. The cylinder block likewise bears 3 numbers: 26.1.7 , 1A504 , and AF4. Can any body help in finding a spare gasket? (maybe the numbers provide a clue)
Thanks
Albert de Graaf - Netherlands

Re: Wanted: Cylinder Head Gasket for Austin Thetis Marine Engine

Have you tried contacting the Austin 10 Drivers Club? They stock a huge amount of spares for larger 1930's Austin's.

Their website is:

http://www.austintendriversclub.com/

Spares contact is:

New Spares Store
Bill & Samantha Billingham
17 Rydal Road
Gosport
Hampshire
PO12 4ES

Tel: 02392 614107
Fax: 02392 614107

Call 6.30pm to 8.30pm Monday to Friday.
Leave a Fax 9am - 9pm or send a letter.
Callers by appointment only

Hope this helps.

Ruairidh

p.s. Can you post a photo of your boat on the forum? Sounds wonderful!

Just re-read what you wrote, if the engine is an A7 one then you can contact The Seven Workshop on

+44 (0)1225 868696

or

sales@sevenworkshop.co.uk

From the dates cast into your block and head I would suggest you would need a High Compression gasket, if you can post a picture of the engine or e-mail it to me I can confirm this for you very quickly.

Cheers

Ruairidh

The numbers you quote certainly refer to the Austin Seven Engine. They relate to the High Compression head. Try Tony Leslie at Holmesdale Sevens. Email address tonyleslie@breathe.com
Telephone 01424 830730
He should have them in stock.
He is very knowledgeable and should also be able to confirm that the normal high compression gaskets are also suitable for Marine Engines.

Re: Re: Wanted: Cylinder Head Gasket for Austin Thetis Marine Engine

Ruairidh
Sorry, not trying to D senior out of business. You got in whilst I was typing the reply.
Dave

That's it Dave, you are well out of the will!

Now who will get my complete collection of "Morris Dancing International" (1953 - 2007).

Outraged of Bearsden

Ruairidh

How very, very, dare you mention Morris on this site.

Disgusted of Orpington

This site might also be helpful www.7ca.co.uk as it has pictures of both types of A7 head gaskets. see Part numbers E1, E2 New parts page.
Daveg

Try Lois Raeburn. I supplied Alan Raeburn about a dozen Austin 8 cylinder head gaskets some years ago when he was still alive.

Re: Re: Re: Wanted: Cylinder Head Gasket for Austin Thetis Marine Engine

Albert: The A7 movement is very active in Holland and will be able to point you in the right direction be your engine Seven, Eight, Ten or Twelve.

Email r.d.wagemaker@hetnet.nl

When Robert answers, tell him his 'English Brother' gave you his address and that he will see him at the Mallory B&B!!

STEVE

I am not sure if it is any help but I believe that AA760 is the part number for a High compression head gasket ( AA520 being the low compression head type ) of gaskets supplied by 'Payen' whose details on the pack are:- Payen, B-2550 Kontich, Belgium

Wow! Thank you Malcolm and all other guys this has been of great help for me!!! On http://www.a7c.co.uk/parts.htm
I found and ordered the 1A912 gasket for the high compression engine. Hope this will improve the running of the engine! Would you think 17 hp could be a adequate figure for this engine?

Anyway I'll try to put a few pictures on the forum

Cheers
Albert

Hallo Albert,

The numbers on the head and block are:

31.5.8 and 26.1.7 : dates : 31 May 1938 and 26 Jan 1937

1A911 and 1A504 : Austin part numbers

The original quoted power for the post-1936 A7 engine was 17 hp.

Hope this helps,
David

Here is Albert's splendid boat, head and engine ...

...Ruairidh

This is an advertisement from the Austin Magazine and Advocate dated August 1937

Thanks again, love to have all this info about the engine. Meanwhile I've ordered a new head gasket from A7 Components, see if this helps curing the problem.
Great forum site this is!

Albert