Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Car No's

Sometime before I acquired my 1928 Chummy it received a new floor pan with the result that the car No is now not known. Is there any way of finding out what it should be?

Re: Car No's

Possibly from a build record if it's one that BMIHT archive hold.
Alternatively the chassis register at www.a7ca.org might hold something (I'm sure that Sandy will help)

Charles

On early cars the chassis, engine and body number were stamped into the rear of the back chassis cross member (nearside), not sure if this was still the practice in 1928?? If it is there some wire brushing along with rubbed in chalk can bring the numbers up.

Cheers

Ruairidh

Re: Re: Car No's

Brian - You ask for the Car number - this number is always an all-embracing no. that covers the engine no., the chassis no., the body number, of each car for parts-ordering or servicing purposes. On early cars, the Car number is only indicated on an aluminium disc or plate either on the passenger's doorpillar or on the firewall. Only the body number is stamped on the floorpan-tunnel of a '28, so that doesn't give you the Car number. It would be very doubtful if the tunnel number corresponded with either the Chassis number or the Car No. of your car. Ruairidh is partly right about the chassie rear crossmember stampings, but this practice ceased in late 1926, anyway that wouldn't give you the Car No., only original chassis, engine, body numbers. If Heritage have a record of your car (quote chassis no.), the Car no. provided should also show you what Body no. had been stamped into the original floorpan. Confused? Cheers, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: Re: Car No's

The Heritage records do not cover the 1928 series as far as I can remember, but I can find out for sure. Brian what is your chassis number?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Car No's

Brian, Just been downstairs in my ‘PJs’ how’s that for keen!!(my wife thinks I am out of my tree) The heritage volumes cover chassis numbers from 77535 up to 136924 Goodnight all.

One of the problems with circa 1928 'Car No' is they went out of sequence with the Chassis Nos.

There is split opinion over part of this, but I understand there is a tombe being written about the chassis' supplied to private body builders, which should enlighten/clarify the position.

It seems there were chassis' with numbers CH0-xxxx etc . and how this relates to the mismatches of 'Car No.' to Chassis I'm not sure, but from the Register I can normally state within a couple of numbers what a a Car No. should be from a given Chassis number during the period say 1924 - 1926 and 1929 to 1939 (accepting in the phase 2 Ruby period that the Chassis Numbers and Car Nos were the same, preceeded by the type (ARR etc.).

1928 Ledgers do not survive at Gaydon. Those at Gaydon are :-
March – June ‘29...A8 series...c.77,535 – 87,433
June – Dec. ‘29....A9 series.....87,434 – 97,332
April – Oct. ‘30...B1 series....107,228 – 117,126
Jan. – June ‘31....B3 series....127,026 – 136,924

Sandy

As always, my grateful thanks to all who responded. The chassis No given on the V5 is A474841 and this same number appears on all the registration documents that were available from the DVLA, back to 1983 when the vehicle was owned in Kettering.
The only reason I would like to know is that I would like to fit the identification plates and it would be nice to add the correct number rather than make one up (oops, did I really say that?)

Brian

Is there a chassis nunber on the Chassis?

The number you quote A then 6 numbers does not match up, and thus unlikely to be an exact match to that on the chassis.

The chassis number locations is shown on the A7CA web page http://www.a7ca.org/Registers/Quote%20this%20number.pdf

Your Chassis No. should be in the range 4x,xxx (5 numbers) and the Car No. is likely to be in the range A5 xxxx, unless it was a 1927 car that stood in the dealers for some time and thus has a A4 xxxx Car Number, all of which are not that far removed from the number you quoted A4xx,xxx.

DVLA have messed up a lot of numbers and sometimes the Chassis Number on V5's is in fact the DVLA's local office reference number, LVLO 345 for example......... I would like to know how a MoT station confirms that with what's on the car - this is a real A7 that was on the Register until rectified.

Sandy Croall, Registrar A7CA.
Member Cornwall and Essex A7 Clubs!

Many thanks Sandy; the number quoted is the one recorded by the DVLA. I know where the number should be on the chassis but have not been able to find it. I think it may have been buried under layers of paint which I have previously been reluctant to remove. The car is away at a coachtrimmers having lots of work done but as soon as it is returned I will get busy with a scraper and try to find it.