Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rough weight of a special.

I know it depends on final results but what would be a very rought weight of a special built on a Ruby chassis / running gear and an alloy over timber frame body.

Thanks.

Paul Humphries,
Werrington,
Stoke-on-Trent.

Re: Rough weight of a special.

A generous guess might be 9-10cwt with full road equipment. I think my car weighs about 8.5 cwts without fuel, but the road equipment is very light and no hood or screen. Interested to hear other views.

As little as possible is the best answer, of course!

Regards, Stuart

The sensible thing would be to take the Special to a weigh bridge, presumably this knowledge of the weight is required for the MoT braking tests.

Sandy

It's a bit difficult to weight as it's not yet built
I'm making a trailer for various purposes and being able to carry the special is one of those hence wondering what capacity to make it.
Looks like 15cwt/ 750 kg will be about right.

Paul Humphries.

I took my RN saloon to the local weighbridge, didn't cost anything, 600Kg with full fuel tank, tools, spares and no people. Dave Mann

Paul,

Aggggh... I see where you are coming from. Yes a 750Kgs trailer (unbraked therefore) will cope, although I would rather have brakes on it myself. My trailer is an ex. caravan chassis, built like a tank with a single axle and overrun brakes.

Chassis cost £50 and I've probaly spent another £150 on new electrics, mudguards, dampers, etc, etc. It seems to have found a lot of work round my village to move all sorts of junk, so the beer account at the village pub has a healthy balance from 'grateful' users.

Sandy