Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
12 volt outlet from 6 volts

I have designed a power supply to convert from the 6 volts of the A 7 to 12 volts. This unit will allow you to charge or run many small devices like a PDAs, Sat Navs or other.
I intend to make several units but wanted to know if there is any interest from members so I can judge how many to make.

Initial specs are
Input voltage from 4 to about 10 volts.
Input physical. A set of crocodile clips for the battery
Output 12 volts at a maximum of 1.2 amps. This should do fine for charging most small things like PDA, cell phone or the Sat nav. This WILL not run a cigarette lighter ;). What about that radar detector for speeding (if you can speed in an A7)
Output is a normal cigarette lighter socket
Size about 2.5” cubed (size not finalized yet)
Efficiency ~ 85% at 1 amp
Current consumed with no load ~ 20 mA or at 6 volts about 0.12 watts. Dont leave it connected when not in use it will drain the battery.

The price will be $60 plus shipping the unit. This will cover the cost of parts, the shipping of parts and some amount of my trouble. I am not making money on this.
I will guarantee the product for 6 months. This means if it fails I will replace it for free. You look after shipment.

If anyone is interested in this power supply please email me this week. I need to order parts.
I am going to make two some more is good.

Let me know if you have questions and weather you will commit to buying one.

Pat in the USA.

Re: 12 volt outlet from 6 volts

Yes please Pat.

Cheers

Ruairidh

Pat when you are drawing 1.2 Amps at 12 volts what amperage is being taken at 6 volts, in other words what is the % efficiency?

Pat, my apologies, I now realise that you have quoted the efficiency at 85%. I calculate that means a load of approximately 2.8 amps on a 6v battery to produce 1.2 amps at 12v.

Re: Re: 12 volt outlet from 6 volts

Thats about correct Malcolm.
These new chips are great at efficiency. There are several tricks to getting this efficient.