Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Water!

Hi all
Just been for a short run to warm the engine before changing the oil in my 1937 Ruby, and I must say she ran quite well. However, on draining the oil from the sump I found the last drops were definately water; should I be worried about this! The actual amount is bad to calculate. Can anybody give me advice please.
Regards
Peter

Re: Water!

Peter,

if you had water in the sump oil it would be a grey murky colour, not black. Was the oil black or a grey colour?

When did you last change the oil?

Cheers

Ruairidh

I would go along with Ruairidh, my guess is that yiou had a small amount of condensation in the crankcase, if the water had been pumped around with the oil it would have formed an emulsion and that would have made the oil grey as described by Ruairidh.

Well done for getting the Ruby out and about.

Re: Re: Water!

Hi Ruaridh
Thanks for reply. Just come back in after discovering that the radiator header tank is slowly putting its contents through the engine and out of the sump drain hole! So, coupled with the fact that I noticed the exhaust was a bit steamy when I arrived home, I guess it could be the cylinder head gasket? Would you agree? It must be 35 years since I replaced a cyl head gasket, any tips for getting the head off, are they usually stubborn! Wouldn't care but only had the car two weeks and this today my first decent run.
Peter

Hi Malcolm
Oil seemed black when drained, no emulsion at that stage , but after draining, water continued to come in dribs and drabs with the odd full dribble!
Peter

It could be the head gasket.

If you want to remove it how about using the tip in the lastest A7CA Magazine from Ian Moorcraft? If you don't get the mag let me know and I'll e-mail you the relevant pages as a PDF.

If it's really stuck on remove all the nuts and washers and fire the engine up (make sure you put some oil back in!!), this usually breaks the seal and you can waggle it off the studs. Spray WD40 over all the studs and let is soak in over night before doing this. When replacing use a new gasket, tighten from the centre out, up to 22lbs.

Cheers

R

Re: Re: Re: Water!

I just had a head gasket go, it turned the oil the colour of carnation milk, within probably 10 minuits of starting the engine.

Thanks Ruaridh, the only mag I have got is the latest issue of the Pre War A7 Club, is that the one in question' if not, yes please.
Peter

Re: Re: Re: Water!

Hi Hedd
I must have just got in before the water got into the oil proper I guess, surely my problem can't be anything else? What causes the head gasket to blow, and is it all or nothing, or can it be a slow process of deterioration?
Peter

Peter,

What a shame, I was hoping for the best of luck but it seems your education in matters Austin Seven is about to undergo a small expansion. Certainly a weeping head gasket will allow water to trickle down the bores and into the sump. Hopefully the head is not warped, do check it when you have it off ( the head that is !! ) Simplest method is to lay a sheet of fine emery paper on a flat sheet of glass ( or kitchen work surface ( while the lady of the house is out ! ) and lightly rub the head back an forward. If it only shines the outer edges and not the middle then it will be best to have a light skim taken across the head. Hopefully just a new gasget will do.

Another tip, if you use 'copperslip' grease on both the gasket and the body of the studs ( not on the threads ) then the head will be easy to take off in the future.

Good luck, and if you need any more advice I am sure that the forum will provide.

WOW! Thanks Malcolm.
Peter

Hi Peter,

the A7CA Magazine is printed quarterly and I am almost certain that the PWA7C includes subscription to it for all members, you should receive your next copy along with the May issue of their own magazine.

Here are the pages (they are in reverse order on this page!) which descibe a particularly useful tool for removing the head...

If you e-mail me your home address I will post you some back issues of the magazine which you may find of interest.

Cheers

Ruairidh
A7CA Ed.
ScA7C Chair.