Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ulster torque tube support link details

Hi all,

Does anybody have the correct torque tube link for an ulster on a shelf anywhere that measurements can be taken from (the one with two bolts in the bottom)??

Like this:

I am looking to make one, probably fabricated from a standard one. Unless of course somebody has one they would be willing to sell me.

I have never seen one disassembled is the ball joint adjusted by shims to remove slack?

I had a very productive weekend working on the chassis for my ulster rep, saturday made new ends for the rear cross member (the originals had fatigued off), welded them on and tidied up various bits and pieces. Sunday dad an i hot riveted together most of the chassis, 45 rivets of the 95 in the complete chassis with 24 still to go (it wasnt completely in pieces but not far off) all the main structure done just small brackets left to do.

Regards

Rob

Re: Ulster torque tube support link details

A duct tape boot!, I've just fitted a new one and cleaned all the bloody grease off the chassis from the last rupture also.

Rob it strikes me from that picture is that one is also fabricated. Looks a straight forward job to me, you could even use the innards from a standard one, Saw off the bottom off an original, weld on a turned tube with some nuts welded on the end, lots of weld and half an hour with a file later bingo ,shove the original innerds in it with shims to space it all correct. Nice coat of paint. Marvellous .

Next time you fancy a spot of rivetting, I've got 50odd 3/4inch diameter ones to do in my Steam Roller boiler to finish it, fancy giving me a hand?

Rob,

Ulster/Sports Tourque Tube Clamps like the one in the photo are shimmed up.

Best person to speak to on this is Steve Hodgson Sports Registar (contact in back of A7CA Mag. under Worthing Group).

Cheers

R

Re: Re: Ulster torque tube support link details

Hedd,

The picture is of an original one, its a forging. Difficult to measure when they are on the car though.

The boot can be difficult, dad went through a couple of driveshaft boots from a mini very quickly then made a copy of the original in leather which is fantastic and has lasted ages. The idea

Have done "full size" riveting a couple of years ago putting a GWR tender back together for a 28XX loco. Did 180+ 5/8" rivets in an afternoon, was nearly dead when i finished, all good fun! Good luck with the boiler!

Regards

Rob

Rob ,
If you live neart Surrey you can inspect my blown car David

David,

Many thanks. I have an original car locally i can look at but it is difficult to see in detail without taking it to bits. I was hoping that someone might have "one on the bench".

Regards

Rob

Would have thought that Ulster expert Chris Gould is THE man to contact.

I won't put his phone number on here but he lists his bodies and spares in most A7 literature.

Rob
I have one sitting on the shelf waiting to go on the car. How close to Hertfordshire are you?
Tony

Re: Re: Re: Ulster torque tube support link details

Tony,

Many thanks, I have just arranged to borrow one from elsewhere.

Frank, the details are not in Chris Goulds book, i may do a drawing to post on the forum.

As per usual the forum delivers!!!

Cheers

Rob

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ulster torque tube support link details

Rob, as one who made up a banjo from a Girling type from guesswork, which was known to occasionally hit the tunnel,(perhaps a bit too long), I ask can you divulge the correct measurements for a kosher one please? Cheers, Bill in Oz