Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gaydon - Info wanted

If somebody could look up a 'Car No.' in one of the four A7 ledgers at Gaydon it would be appreciated.

Through David Cochrane I have had some details of a A7 in Japan, 'Car No.' A9-9623, Chassis 96956. This one is not in the Associations Register of surviving cars and I would not mind knowing what the original car was - tourer, saloon and/or export model?

The A9 series of 'Car No.s' is in one of the ledgers at Gaydon.

First time I've asked for this help, so hopefully someone could oblige.

It would be nice if I had access to the ledgers when attending the A7CA's quarterly meetings, but the archives are not available on Sundays.

Sandy Croall
Registrar A7CA
Cornwall A7 Club.

Re: Gaydon - Info wanted

If anyone is kind enough to be able to help Sandy, could you look to see what is recorded for my bare chassis (one day to be a Ulster replica) 111717 as it would be nice to know what was fitted to it when new, maybe an Ulster!!!! Some hope.

Re: Re: Gaydon - Info wanted

Ian
111717 definately not an Sports Seven. David

Re: Re: Re: Gaydon - Info wanted

Thanks David,It was a slender hope,but would still be interested to know 'what' it was.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gaydon - Info wanted

David, I wasn’t aware that the Ulster’s chassis numbers had any particular sequence to be able to separate them from the normal production order. Have I missed something obvious?

Re: Gaydon - Info wanted

They would have to look up B1-4590, at least I think that's as near as we can get based on the chassis' and 'Car No.' sequences around about 111,71x.

And before we get to many requests, there are only the ledgers for:

A8 series - Chassis 77,535 – 87,433
A9 series - Chassis 87,434 – 97,332
B1 series - Chassis 107,228 – 117,126
B3 series - Chassis 127,026 – 136,924

at Gaydon, the rest are 'presumed' destroyed.

Don't forget Gaydon charge for Heitage certificates, this request of mine is to try and clarify what model an enquirer has in Japan - remebering the language barrier!

Sandy

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Gaydon - Info wanted

Ian
You need to have details of all the Sports and Super Sports in the ledgers. David

Re: Re: Gaydon - Info wanted

Ian - with my limited knowledge of Austin 7s, the only difference that I could discern between a contemporary chassis and an Ulster one in mid-to-late 1930 was the rear torque mounting. On an "ordinary" chassis the ball is mounted towards the top, on an Ulster the plate is inverted with the ball at the bottom. The only other difference with mine is that the chassis number is stamped mid-way between the crancase-mounting holes with a large "C" ahead of the number. It's been suggested the "C" denoted that (a) it stood for "Chassis", but no other Seven bothers with that, just has the number, and (b) it was sent out to a body-builder such as Gordon England (who I believe built some Ulster bodies) but I have no verification - more likely the original body was built here in Oz. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Bill,

I spent last weekend riveting the chassis for my ulster rep together from component parts, it was incomplete when i bought it and i took it apart a bit more to make it easier to repair various cracks and dents. I riveted the ball for the torque tube on the other way up to suit an ulster after having a look at an original car (hence now needing the measurements for the ulster torque tube link). Im glad to know there was nothing else i have missed.

The chassis is numbered C126259 with the number stamped behind the rear engine mount.

Regards

Rob

Thanks Bill, Mine has the ball nearest the top so it must be an ordinary chassis.