Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Nippy Exhaust System

Can anyone give me details of anyone who might be able to make me a Nippy exhaust system please?

Cheers

Ruairidh

Re: Nippy Exhaust System

Ruairidh,
Tony Law Exhausts makes them Tel 01132 2715422.

http://www.tonylawexhausts.co.uk/

I bought one about 4 years ago for £125 including carrriage

Dave Griffith

Great stuff Dave!

Many thanks

R

How do Nippy exhaust systems differ from standard ones?

David

Re: Re: Nippy Exhaust System

David, I too would be interested in an authoritive answer. I do know that when I fitted the engine from my Speedy into a '37 Ruby many years ago that the actual exhaust pipe fouled the valances, didn't fit the chassis etc. From memory I think that it was because the exhaust manifold for the Speedy (read Nippy) sits lower than the Chummy/Ruby versions, but it would be pleasant to have it all explained. Incidentally, our Club here in Oz is currently producing extractor exhaust pipes to suit standard engines. The member doing them some years ago sold his extractor/muffler business (he exported to America, New Zealand, Japan etc) for millions, so he knows how to design them scientifically/efficiently. Anyone interested let me know. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Bill, What's an extractor exhaust and what benefits does it give to a standard engine?

Jeff

Nippy vs. standard exhaust systems. Not an authority, but can report that my old type 65, fitted with Ruby front pipe on "65" manifold, used to bang dents in the downpipe with the radius arm. Not helped by using a standard crankcase with slightly lower drive line height, a point I failed to appreciate as a teenager. Even with the right crankcase I suspect the downpipe would require modification.

Regards, Stuart

Downpipes fitted to 65/Nippies, I have seen, have much lower/rounded curves that standard pipes, more like a Big 7 downpipe, presumably to stop the problems mentioned above. Tailpipes differ slightly also, I think (and will stand corrected if this is not the case).

When the new one is made I shall try to take a photo of the two side by side...

Cheers

Ruairidh

I've made a special exhaust for a Nippy before.

For reference the picture on the paper dust cover of Bill Williams book shows that the down pipe connects onto a straight pipe with a silencer and goes straight out of the back. We tried that on Chris Oliver's Nippy using the proper manifold, a standard Ruby down pipe with a Ruby crankcase. Firstly the horizontal bit wanted to be exactly where the valance is so there's a decision to shorten it and bring it inside the valance or lengthen and take it underneath (which I suspect is the correct way?). We then had a straight pipe with a Frogeye Sprite straight through silencer approximately under the passengers seat. This worked fine but as you can see from the picture on the book there's very little ground clearance. The top of the silencer was about 6" under the floor.

After one big crunch that split the box wide open (Chris likes exploring rougher roads) I made up another system. This one used a similar downpipe but then bent at the end to go through the gap between the floor, the outside of the chassis sidemember and the top of the crossmember. It took a while to get it right and not touching anything. From there a silencer is mounted between the chassis, the floor and the door bootom sill with a side exit pipe just in front of the back wheel.

The lowest bit is the exit pipe that sneaks under the bottom edge of the body just in front of the wheel and the silencer is more in line with the front and rear wheels and less likely to get whacked. Getting the front end of the rear brake cable off would mean removing the exhaust but we haven't had to do that yet.

It's good fun cutting and welding pipe with gental lobster back bends but the joins never seem to point in exactly the right direction on the first attempt!

Not standard I know but entirely practical.

Dave

Re: Re: Nippy Exhaust System

David,
Link to picture of Nippy exhaust and what I think is a standard one. Click on pic to enlarge.

http://www.7ca.co.uk/Exhausts.htm

Dave Griffith

Hi Ruairidh,

I would also like to get a Nippy exhaust system made up - would it be cheaper pro rata to get two made at once? Perhaps there are other folks out there who might also like to have one?

Cheers, David

Contact me offline David...

R