Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Contaminated petrol

well met good fellows! Oh how pleased I am with my little Austin. I was one of the cars that picked up some of this essence that had silicon in it. As i drove away from the garage I saw 2 cars that were apparently in trouble a couple of miles up the road. Of course I did not, at the time, know why. My steed Has not missed a beat. Oh, the joys of simple motoring. Algenon

Re: Contaminated petrol

I have had to run my A7 on a mixture of kerosine and petrol and it worked great.

Today I always put some 2 stroke oil in the tank because the "gasoline" read petrol is TOO clean here in the states. Helps the valves

I have a friend in Kenya who says he started his with petrol and then used kerosene, not sure about this.

Pat

Re: Re: Contaminated petrol

Pat

I think Kerosene is pretty much similar to parafin.
Therefore as long as its hot enough to vapourise it would probably run OK.
Much like the petrol parafin tractors used to be.
They called it TVO (tractor vapourising oil). You started on a small petrol tank and then switched to parafin.
I dont know how the "energy levels" of the fuels compare but it used to work!!

Steve.

Re: Re: Re: Contaminated petrol

Kero & paraffin = same thing - depends on which Country you're in. Many cars including Sevens ran on it during the WW2 petrol restrictions, except it was illegal. The blue vapour trail was a dead giveaway. Not sure it did the engines any good, certainly didn't give much joy to the drivers who were caught. Cheers, Bill in Oz

Re: Contaminated petrol

Wasn't there a story about someone who used to fill his A7 tank with two gallons of petrol + two gallons of paraffin + a dozen mothballs during wartime rationing ? Reckoned the mothballs improved the octane rating of the mixture.