Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
side lights

Hi, when my dynamo starts charging the side lights come on. My car is a PD,2 seat tourer,any help appreciated.

Re: side lights

Hello Stephen,
Short of demonic possession, it sounds as though you have a wiring error.

If you can tell me what type of "switchboard/ignition swithch arrangmenst you have I might be able to help.

Also, how has this problem arisen? By that I mean, have you ever had the system working OK, and/or have you "fiddled" with the lightswitch wiring or added/removed any components.

Regards,

Barry R.

Re: Re: side lights

Hi Barry,

Ihave not touched the wiring, however the previous owner rewired the car with a roll of yellow cable and I am about to start a rewire with hopefully correct weight of cable. Ign switch uses a spade key and includes light switch(off,side and head). Thanks for replying.

Re: Re: Re: side lights

Hello Stephen,

I still do not know whether or not you have had the lights working correctly or whether there has been some "interference" with the wiring which has occurred.

I am going to assume that you have not had the system working, and in the light (no pun intended) of the fact that the car has been "rewired" I even more strongly suspect that there is a wiring error.

There is a very good wiring diagram and a picture of the switch connections on the EA7C site.

May I suggest that you get hold of both and examine the connections to the back of the switch as I really think that somehow you side lights have got mixed up with the dynamo connections.

A rewire should not be difficult provided you take it on a section by section basis.

If you are not going to use colour coded wire, may I suggest that you try and get hold of some "heatshrink" sleeves from somewhere like Maplins and colour code the ends so tha you cant sort things out later if you need to.

Best regards

Barry R.

Re: Re: Re: Re: side lights

Hi again,

The lights work normally when the cut out has not clicked in to show charge and are brighter when switched on even when dynamo is charging.

I have just orderd some correct size braided cable of different colours and hope to start replaceing old stuff,thanks for the advice I will do it by sections.

Once again MANY thanks,

Stephen.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: side lights

Hello Stephen,

Well, it certqainly is difficult to get a complete appreciation of your situation from this distance (I am in Tasmania, Australia) but I think what you are saying is that the sidelamps work normally with the engine at rest, but, with the lights switched "off" and with the engine running at charging speeds and above the sidelamps come on even if they are actually switched "off"

I still think you are likely to have a wiring fault, but you could also have an "earthing" problem.

I would make the suggestion that as part of your rewire project that you fashion a decent "earth return" system. By that I mean that rather than relying on an earth return for the significant items through the doubtful path of car bodywork , chassis etc. back to the battery, that you install a "hard wired" earth return back to the battery.

Then you will not be relying on the doubtful joints between various pieces of metal with attendant corrosion and gunk of 70ish years opportunity.

Particularly with the high current items like the headlamps this can produce remarkably better results, and obviate losses which can amount to several volts which is obviously quite untenable in a 6 volt system.

A decent heavy duty "earth strap" from the motor is also a sound move and may help the starter motor operation.

Another place which really does need to be reliably earthed is the Cut-Out itself.

You need not end up with a birds nest of return cables, particularly if you think in terms of just linking up a number of convenient earthing points.

I would also test out the actual switch operation while I had it out of the car. If you don't feel confident about doing this yourself, then maybe you can find someone with a multimeter who could do it for you.

Best regards,

Barry R

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: side lights

Barry and the group

I totally agree on the earth wire. When I first got my A7 the headlamps were a bit dim. I measured the voltage between the case of the headlamp and the battery terminal and found it was around 1 volt.
In other words I was dissipating about 6 watt in the body joints and LOOSING it from the head lights.
A 12 guage copper wire got the voltage down to about 0.04 and the head lamps got a lot brighter.

As for the side lights coming on when it charges, two ideas.
1> They are always on and get brighter and you notice them.
2> The charge relay "kicks in" for full charge and I think yo may have a wiring problem around this relay.

Pat

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: side lights

Thanks folks, I have a few days off ot the end of this week from that thing called work and I hope to get things SORTED. Amazing that a little car can connect people across the globe from Tasmaina to Northern Ireland. Once again thanks,

Stephen.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: side lights

Hi Folks
As a 'Mechanical Idiot' who has difficulty following wiring diagrams, I decided a few years ago to rewire my 1932 box. R. J. Wyatts wiring diagram showed the original simple diagram, but I wanted to add things like flashing indicators, stop lights, and things.
At an autojumble I found a new wiring loom for some modern thing (unlabelled, make unknown, so very cheap) carefully unravelled it, identified what wires did what, and carefully stored it. I also bought some reels of suitable wire. I then drew a wiring diagram using, several differant existing ones as examples. I then carefully replaced each section. I also added an earth wire system. As already said, you can connect each componant to it as it passes. I used soldered bullet connectors. I ended up with a colour coded system, but I must remember never to lose the original wiring diagram!
The amazing thing is that when I swithed it on, it all worked! I can still hardly believe that I succeeded!
All I will add, is take your time, ensure every joint and soldering is secure, clean and firm, and make a note of what colour wires you are using for what!
Best of luck!
Tatty Box Bill