Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Gasket position and water seal

Evening all
Simple questions again, but got to ask I'm afraid.
1 Does the copper cylinder head gasket have the 'rolled edge' touching the block or the cylinder head?
2 Does the rubber water gasket (2 stud HC fitting), that bolts onto the cylinder head from the top hose, require bedding in a sealing compound?
Many thanks
Peter

Re: Gasket position and water seal

1)I've never found it makes any difference if all the faces and studs are OK. It goes on either way as it's all symetrical. There probably is a right way but it's usually something defective that is at the root of gasket problems.
2)I wouldn't recommend a rubber gasket for the water outlet on top of the head. The main job of the two studs and nuts is to hold down the head. They can't do that effectively accomodating expansion and contraction with a piece of rubber in the sandwich! I find a gasket cut from the side of a brown paper envolope (IKEA bags are ideal!) is best WITH some sealant - I prefer Hylomar.

Have a go - this what grows experience and where the enjoyment comes from!

Dave

Re: Re: Gasket position and water seal

Many thanks Dave; excellent website, now in my favourites!
Peter

Re: Re: Re: Gasket position and water seal

I agree with Dave, dont use the rubber gasket.
Just brown paper and goo does the job

Steve.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Gasket position and water seal

I,ve always favoured old card file covers, ex work and the best price, FOC. I try to avoid the pink ones mind.

Peter,

Where did you get a rubber top water manifold gasket from? I've never seen one for the two stud fixing type.

David

Re: Re: Gasket position and water seal

Hi David
The rubber gaskets came from Tony Betts.
Tel.0116 2867522
But it appears unwise to use them!

Telephone directory covers used to be made of cartridge paper and were the bees knees for gaskets. The modern shiny stuff is useless. Another giant leap backwards.

Martin

I have never had any problem with rubber gaskets, including the long water outlet on my Supaloy head, but the secret is they must be used with all the surfaces DRY. Any moisture or sealant will lubricate the gasket as the manifold is tightened up and squeeze the gasket out of the joint.

However I will say that they are not the gasket of my choice, I prefer the cork or composition type where a little sealant can be used.

By the way, just thought you might like to know, I turned the tables on a door to door double glazing salesman who left my door seriously considering buying an Austin Seven without even trying to sell me double glazing. That must be some sort of a record !!

Happy Days