Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
"Pressurised" Ruby radiator valve

As we all know, late Sevens had a (just) pressurised cooling system with a two way breather valve controlling the "blow off". Does any one know if the little valve unit is available anywhere? I don't need the housing, just the valve.

I imagine other '30s vehicles used similar devices.

Regards, Stuart

Re: "Pressurised" Ruby radiator valve

That's interesting Stuart. As a late Ruby owner I had no idea there is a blow-off valve. I look forward to seeing the replies that tell me where it is!

Nick

If you've got one, it's at the top end of the overflow pipe; shallow cylindrical housing with a screwed cap on the outside of the header tank. Early '38 but Austin did a "retro fit" kit as well, according to the service journals.

Regards, Stuart

Re: Re: "Pressurised" Ruby radiator valve

Hi Stuart - I liked your "as we all know" etc. I for one had never heard of it and would guess others would be likewise. Shows I haven't read the Journals properly - will look next week. If they don't happen to illustrate this curious device, any chance of a photo on this site please? Cheers, Bill

Certainly, Bill.
It's illustrated on p.201 of November 1938 in the journals. The one I have isn't quite like the illustration. I'll scan the page tomorrow, but I will try and add a drawing to show how mine works.

Regards, Stuart

Can't find the silly thumbnail thing in photobucket but anyway, here it is, Bill. Apologies for my artwork! The Austin Service Journal picture shows the "retro fit kit", hence the big plate "X" that you solder over the hole you just cut in the punter's header tank.

http://i179.photobucket.com/albums/w283/stuartu/radvalve.jpg

Regards, Stuart

Hi.

This a picture of the valve fitted to my car radiator (chassis 287777):

It has not been apart for many decades and since it is working I have left it alone. It is good to know what is inside!

Regards

Colin

Brilliant - Thanks Stuart & Colin. The more you learn the more you learn there's more to learn. Now that I've seen Colin's photo I realise I've probably seen these in the past & dismissed them as someone's home-made mod ! Cheers, Bill

Happy to be of service, Bill. Would still be grateful to hear if anyone knows where I can get the little valve!

Regards, Stuart

When I think about it, and having seen the photo of the device, I think that some early post war cars had a similar fitting on the radiator which I must confess I have never thought much about. Maybe Austin A40 and A30?

regards
Barry R