Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
LUCAS DYNAMO C35A

KIND SIRS (AND DAMSELS) I AM SEEKING A BOON!

Is there someone who could send me/post on site a photo of an early Lucas C35A Dynamo (with the box containing terminals, field fuse and resistance on the body of the Dynamo)

These were fitted to A7's from late 1932 to probably early 1934.

I am really looking for a photo of the box with the lid off showing the components therein.

I am trying to see if it is possible to coax a chap I have been put in touch with to make up some new field resistances, and I simply can't access where I know I have several dynamos stored at the moment.

Profound thanks in anticipation.

Barry R

Re: LUCAS DYNAMO C35A

Barry, my now-famous dynamo, which you advised me on, fits the description of the one you want a photo of, so I will take one tonight and send it to you.

It has been fixed (the shop that worked on it had chafed a wire on re-assembly the first time, and quickly found and corrected their error). It's producing a 2 to 10 amp charge (ammeter reading) depending on RPM.

Re: Re: LUCAS DYNAMO C35A

Thanks David, I have your "famous dynamo" picture.

I am glad that you have it going OK now. The "chafed wire" bit is very easy to achieve when reassembling these things, although it is a wonder that it was not picked up on test prior to delivery to you.

Now I am not certain whether or not we have corresponded on this matter before as I cannot access my home base computer. But from your photo I would have to say that unless you have a later type CFR or CFR2 Cut-Out Box fitted in your car, then you will not have a "Half Charge" facility working, because your terminal box does not contain a resistor.

The reason I have requested some photos is because I think I may be able to arrange to obtain at least the correct resistance wire, if not a ready coiled resistance unit for replacement purposes.

It is not quite a simple as it might first appear, because to do the job properly one needs to arrange a resistance wire of suitable physical diameter to be able to safely carry the current, and of such electrical characteristics that it can be wound into a spaced coil "spring" which will fit into the groove in the terminal box.

I think that my reasoning is correct in that I have surmised that for reliability, it would be better to have a reasonably long length of wire to make up the required resistance, rather than a shorter piece of higher resistance wire, in an effort to dissipate the heat over a greater area. Hence the "spring" arrangement originally devised, in spite or otherwise, by Joe Lucas.

So, if there is anyone out there who has an intact (or even un-intact sample) resistance who could measure its resistance with reasonable accuracy (Digital Multimeter?) and then tell me the gauge of the wire (simple wire diameter with digital calipers perhaps?) and also the total length of the groove and its width, it would really help.

I am guessing that the wire is somewhere probably less than 16SWG, most likely between 18 and 22 SWG, or a bit under 1/16"

There again, if someone else knows that Joe Bloggs down the road is already making and selling the resistances, then please let us all know and then I will gladly defer to his skills.

Regards

Barry R.

Re: Re: Re: LUCAS DYNAMO C35A

Hi Barry

Measured the specimen I have as follows.....

1.1 ohms resistance

1mm or 40 thou ish dia, so I think thats 19 SWG??

I havn't got the box it went in so cannot supply details of that.

Steve.

Re: Re: Re: Re: LUCAS DYNAMO C35A

Thanks Steve,

I wonder if you could count the numnber of "turns" for me please.

Also thanks very much to the other folk who have contacted me direct.

I think I am almost in a position to order some wire now.

Regards

Barry R.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LUCAS DYNAMO C35A

Barry

I sent you via email two pictures.

Confirm the resistance is 1.0 ohm with a good multimeter. There are 22 turns on mine.
Pat

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: LUCAS DYNAMO C35A

Barry

I counted about 25 turns on mine ,BUT some have been twisted/damaged so that may not be an accurate figure?

Steve