Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ulster / Nippy torque tube link

Hi all,

My efforts to reverse engineer an ulster torque tube link are progressing, to summarise my findings so far:

The ulster ones differ from the later nippy ones, not sure where the switch was but the difference appears to be in the external shape and not anything to do with the functional dimensions. The ulster one is shown here

As far as i can tell the ulster one looks like it has been made by modifying a standard (short) forging die to increase the length as necessary. The nippy or later one has been made from a new custom forging die. This makes sense to me as austin didn't make may ulsters so it would not have made sense to make a brand new tool from scratch, however to take a part worn tool would be more economical.

The nippy one is shown here

Notice the neck is smaller at the top.

I have started doing the drawings this evening, the following is my drawing of the nippy link. I am in the process of doing the detail drawings of the bits needed to modify a standard short one into an ulster one. I am working largely by eye from the photos and on the assumption that the forging die was a modified standard one, rather than having a genuine one to copy.

The drawing of the nippy one is here:

The internals for the nippy one are; thick washer / spacer that sits against the internal shoulder 3/16 thick, Spring 1" long 0.75"OD 9/64" wire diameter 4 active turns, Spherical seat with recess for spring to fit in, ball 1"OD, standard spherical lower seat, end cap. Drawings will follow.

If anybody can give me information as to other differences between the nippy and ulster one it would be much appreciated.

By the way, the floppy flywheel drawings have been sent off to be posted on the association web site.

Regards

Rob

Re: Ulster / Nippy torque tube link

Hi all,

Here is an assembly drawing for the nippy torque tube link

Regards

Rob