Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Juddering in reverse

I had a Ruby for 23 years and during that time, when going in reverse the car used to judder occasionally, having recently purchased a Pearl, find that a similar fault occurs. Have tried using a lot of revs or very little revs in reverse, dosn't seem to make a lot of difference. Any possible causes!!

Stephen

Re: Juddering in reverse

This very weekend (last) whilst attending the Cornwall Clubs "check up day" a similar problem was cured.
The car in question juddered as you describe and an adjustment of the torque tube link to take up the wear/play in the ball seemed to effect a cure .

Might be worth a try?

Steve

Re: Re: Juddering in reverse

I have had the same problem and adjusting the torque tube fixed it. I have also heard that a very worn drive union,( the coupling in the drive shaft) can do this in first and reverse

Pat

Hi, in my experience ,on many occasions this has been cured by tightening the radius arm ball joint(under the gearbox). The fault is particulaly evident when reversing on a lock. this is because the brakes get "applied " by the front brake levers position being altered by brake shoe or brake cam spindle wear.Do the bolt up tight! In the longterm it is worth replacing the 2 brass cups in the end.I had a friend who considered his car "undriveable" and was going to sell it.. 5 minutes underneath, Eureka!!

Mac

Ref the radius arm bolt...

Are you a user of the spring arrangement and stepped bolt or do you recomend just doing it up tight???

Several Cornwall Club members also made comment about this area last weekend.

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Juddering in reverse

My Ruby developed a bad case of the wanders last year. I replaced the existing - wrong type - radius arm bolt with a new 'waisted' bolt and spring from Tony Leslie, did it up tight, and the difference in straight line steering was amazing.

Worth checking your engine mountings this sorted mine

Mike

Steve , I am aware,of course, of the waisted bolt a nd spring arrangement. But I use a plain bolt and a self locking nut ,with a plain washer on either side. Incidently on more than one occassion i have found the hole in the radius arm has become enlarged so I have welded a plain waser directly to it..

Thanks to you all for your replies, will try the suggestions
Regards
Stephen