Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Modern radio in an Austin 7 highlights history

I just finished building an inverter and ran my Ham radio using it in the Austin. Here is a picture

(hope this worked)
Then I got to thinking. Radio was not commercial when this car was born. I dont know when the first radios were installed in cars but it would have been chaufered cars, probably late 30ties early 40ties. First car radios had a vibrator (;)) to create the high voltage(90v) to run the valves (tubes). A radio in the 30ties was AM only and was huge like the size of a small room. The radio shown is a tranceiver so I can transmit and receive, unheard of in 1932 when the car was built.

I talked to a top engineer the other day about the charge regulation system on the A7 and he was amazed.

Just wanted to share some thoughts with the group

Pat

Re: Modern radio in an Austin 7 highlights history

Let me try the picture again
http://i171.photobucket.com/albums/u284/phalahan/InvertandradioinA7.jpg

Pat

Re: Re: Modern radio in an Austin 7 highlights history

Hi Pat

Cant see the pic, BUT I guess if you breakdown in the right atmospheric conditions you will be able to summon help from anywere around the globe!!!

Steve.

Many things about our cars seem to amaze 21st century engineers. My charge regulator is very straightforward. Once the dynamo's charging at more than 6 amps my "digital" actuator turns the control knob to half charge. Now that's not going to break down and leave me stranded, is it!

Hello Pat,

Here is your photo:

I think I know what you are doing wrong on Photobucket because I got caught myself originally.

Here is the drill as I understand it.

Once you have "uploaded" your photo into your Photobucket Album, select the picture you wish to make abailable by clicking in the little box at the bottom of the particular picture (to the left)

IGNORE THE SEVERAL OTHER BOXES WHICH ARE NEAR THE PICTURE AND REFER TO "URL LINK, HTML CODE AND IMG CODE." AND WHICH ARE DIRECTLY UNDER THE SELECT CHECK BOX

Scroll down to the bottom of the page and you will find three more boxes. The box on the Left which says "GENERATE HTML AND IMG CODE" is the one you want.

Click on that box and you will come to a new page.

The option which says:
"HTML clickable thumbnails for Ebay, Livejournal, MySpace, etc. - recommended" is the one I have used.

Go on that one and copy all the gobble****ok, and then paste that into your posting

Bob's your unce and we have a thumbnail!

I am the very last person who should be giving advice on this matter as my computer expertise is most profoundly limited

Check that it all works by the way by using the Preview facility prior to posting.

Regards

Barry R

Thanks a lot Barry. I will work on this pictures as it is a great tool.

The picture shows a Yeasu FT817 tranceiver powered via the 6 to 12 volt inverter on the top of the radio.

The radio takes 2 amps at 12 volts on transmit but this is not a problem as I dont talk that much

Pat

Hiya -
I have also set about putting my HF set in Austie my 1929 A7, however the only ground plane I can find is on the luggage rack !!!!.
I place a mag mount on this and work stationary.
Being a tourer theres not a lot else to do - what have you done for an antenna ?

The power is via a 12 volt nicad pack as my radio is a very large Kenwood !!!

However the car has her own inverta (2 amps) for the mobile phone and sat nav !!!

Jason

Jason
I have built a number of inverters and run a Yaesu 817 tranceiver from the inverter. The 817 is a 5 watt rig some max current at 12 is 2 amps.
My base is a Kenwood 2000

Pat

Re: Re: Re: Modern radio in an Austin 7 highlights history

Too complicated for me!Had a chorckle the other day,I was listening to Radio2(digital!) on my phone on the headphones while driving around Northumberland in my 25'special.I stopped and looked on the internet to see what was on at the cinema and then phoned around to organise a night out before blasting off again on the c roads.
Embrace modern technology,it's so much easier(and a lot smaller!!!!)
Simon

Re: Re: Re: Modern radio in an Austin 7 highlights history

Pat love to see any circuit diagram’s for the inverters
What did you do about an antenna ?
Jason

Re: Re: Re: Re: Modern radio in an Austin 7 highlights history

Watch out chaps - the MANagement is listening?

Mike