Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
3 speed cluthc bearing

anybody have a suggestion for a magic lubricant for a noisy clutch bearing?, mine seems to rattle, I have tried thick oil but it wouldnt go down the hole, and engine oil doesnt seem to do anything.

Re: 3 speed cluthc bearing

Hi Ben
The lubrication hole is probaly blocked, it's very common, so you won't be getting any oil into the bearing at all! The only way is to remove gearbox, then the bearing, clean, repack, and reassemble.
It's a long job but worth it! these bearings are very hard to find,and there are no new ones available!!

the oil hole can't be blocked, the engine oil goes down no problem

> these bearings are very hard to find,and there are no new ones available!!

Not quite so, but fairly expensive... See
www.a7c.co.uk/spares.htm#transmission

Re: Re: 3 speed cluthc bearing

Can you tell me me a way that if I click on to the web page that he is refering to that I have a direct link to this site ???? as I try to add it it does not do anything

Re: Re: Re: 3 speed cluthc bearing

One method is to highlight the address you wish to use, in this case ......

www.a7c.co.uk/spares.htm#transmission

and then copy and paste it into the address bar at the top of your screen. In other words overwrite the line which says something like .......

http://pub25.bravenet.com/forum/2099944454/fetch/600366/

Hi Ben. The lurrication tube does two jobs! it oils the nosepiece on the gearbox, and the clutch bearing
via a small drilling in the carrier, which is only visible when the bearing has been removed,it's this drilling that's blocked! So the oil you are feeding simply runs down the tube,over the nose piece, and out of the bottom of the gearbox!! No oil is getting to the bearing at all. The only way to solve your problem is to remove the bearing from the carrier and clear sixty years of congealed dust and fluff. Trust me Ben iv'e been there!!!

I didn't realise that you did three speed bearings David - you never cease to amaze me!!! I should check your list more often!! You say they are expensive. Don't think they are. Last time some were available new it was from the vintage bearing people in Derby and they wanted around £230 if I remember correctly.

My cheque will be in the post to you.

STEVE