Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
SU Carb conversion

Have just completed the first tentative road test of the SU conversion I have been working on. So far the first impressions seem favourable, although much more testing is needed.

The conversion is simple, it uses the standard Ruby manifold, and an adaptor plate and an inch and quarter carb in my case NOS from a Morris Minor.

The standard manifold can just about be machined out to inch and a quarter although the flanges are getting fairly small, this also removes the huge restriction that is present inside the ruby manifold that some will be aware of.

An adaptor plate is then made from 3/8 steel plate to "rephase" the holes. In other words the plate bolts onto the manifold with some 5/16 CSK screws in the horizontal plane and it is tapped to take studs in the vertical plane for the SU.

The float chamber has a new slot filed to convert it to horizontal fitting and the throttle linkage just about goes straight on .

If the testing goes OK then it will be a very cheap and easy conversion for a Ruby owner to improve drivability

I must look back at the forum now to see what you guys recomended for needles and springs when I asked some time ago .

Steve

Re: SU Carb conversion

Steve
My OPAL had an SU car conversion at the time of purchase in 1933 according to the info I have on the car.

Here is a photo of the carburettor from the front

Another photo of it from the side.

I guess I need to clean it.
It really works well
Pat

Re: Re: SU Carb conversion

Thanks Pat

Looks like you have the type of carb I originally wanted to fit! Mine is a later type from a Morris Minor so requires an adaptor plate which complicates matters!
The type you have seems harder to find and when they crop up they are expensive, although they are probably a better way to do the job .

I too need to clean under the bonnet after I left the oil filler cap of at St Agnes and drove home for 1 1/2 hours.....whoops!!

Steve.

Re: Re: Re: SU Carb conversion

The bad news I think it is a MORRIS 8 SERIES ONE THAT WE NEED TO LOOK FOR at 1 insh not a later 1 and 1/4insh S U carb any one know any difrent????

Re: Re: Re: Re: SU Carb conversion

As part of my mods for my Peking to Paris trip I have fitted a ruby manifold and 1" SU it bolted straight on, the needle in it was an EZ which my carb man tells me was a weak jet for a MG M type with a single carb. I then used a colour tune, which are tip top, to set it up. Then went for road test Result? I should say so, no more stalling no flat spots ,instant start at least 40+ mpg plus the car (RM)absolutely flies. Hope it gets me back from China!
Chris