Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Chassis Numbers

At long last I have managed to find the chassis number on my 1928 Chummy, I had been looking in the wrong place!
They are quite small characters stamped just forward of the front engine mount and were barely visible under the paint. I scraped off the paint to make them more legible but this actually made them worse.
Does anyone have a cunning plan to make them more visible?

Re: Chassis Numbers

G'day Brian,
I am not sure of the details, but apparently the constabulary use a mild acid etch to show up chassis numbers that have been ground off. Something to do with the metal being compressed to a higher density under the punch. It might be worth a try or further investigation.

I also have a chassis of the same era and haven't been able to find a number either. Can you please elaborate exactly where you found it? Which side? etc and I will have a closer look.

Cheers,
DG

Re: Re: Chassis Numbers

Thanks for the info Dennis, I'll look into that one. The earlier chassis numbers were stamped into the chassis on the left or nearside (for a right hand drive car)just in front of the front engine mount. A good guide to various identity numbers can be found on the A7 Assoc site at www.a7ca.org/Registers/Quote this number.pdf