Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Wheel leakage!

Evening all
I did a 70 mile trouble free run yesterday, OK, she heated up a little on a steep hill but soon regained normal running. The problem is that on returning home I discovered the rear offside wheel hub was leaking what looked like molten grease from one or two spokes next to the hub and running down onto the tyre! Can anyone please explain what is happening?
Peter

Re: Wheel leakage!

That sounds like your half shaft oil seal is leaking. Take the wheel off and then the brake drum to check that the shoes have not been contaminated. The problem will be the felt sealing ring which needs replacing.

Is it oil or grease? More likely oil from the back axle leaking past the seal at the side of the differential running along the half shaft and then leaking past the hub seal or joint or both. A not uncommon problem particularly on the later D type axles. The earlier banjo axle has a better vent on the differntial case whilst the D type has a screw in the torque tube with a vent hole which is usually blocked with paint. The differential felt oil seal lives in a top hat cup retained by a circlip and the seal and cup rotate with the shaft wearing a flat on the circlip. Modern lip type seals are available from the 7 spares suppliers but do require a round smooth surface to run on.
Dave Mann

Last posting has it spot on, and as he says it is a common complaint.

I put up with it for a year or so, then fitted new rubber seals instead of felt ones. These were supplied by Wayne at Midshires, but he may have passed his new parts stock to someone else now. I also used the best hub parts I could find (ie: least bent/flattest) for best seal when reinstalled.

Anyway, result is perfectly dry brake linings, only a little dust in the drums now. Always a help when you are slowing down from Mach 1!

Re: Re: Wheel leakage!

Evening all
Yes, as you all suggested, it is oil leakage; the brake drum and pads were full of oil! But, being a novice I must ask, 'is it a big job.' I presume I undo the big nut with the split pin and then; Oh blimey, can you please advise where to go from there in the simplest terms possible, sorry for this, but it really is a first for me and, oh yes, will the brake pads be OK eventually washed in petrol. Thanks.
Peter

The Prisoner.... Quote "...... Always a help when you are slowing down from Mach 1!"

Mach 1 - So your still driving with the handbrake on the second notch then!

Sandy
(PS - must check that Alc.% on the bottle I just had!)...