Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Chassis woes- Front axle alignment.

Whilst working on my Arrow Replica 1934 chassis with later running gear, I have discovered that if a measurement is taken from the front crossmember to the front of the axle, the nearside is half an inch further forward than the offside.
The front spring bracket rivets are different on the two sides. Those on the nearside have domed heads, whilst those on the offside are flattened.
The diagonal measurement on the two cross members are the same and would suggest that chassis is square in the centre section.
Measuring from the rear axle to the front (with difficulty) gives the same half inch discrepancy.
The radius arms are the same lenhth.

Is this a body off, engiine out, chassis realignment job?
Could a side member have been replaced at some time with one of a slightly different length?
Have I missed something obvious?

What do I do - Help please!

Re: Chassis woes- Front axle alignment.

Hugh,

use your car and enjoy it, that's what to do!

Half an inch is not a problem and will only add to the individual enjoyment of driving your car.

Cheers

R

Re: Re: Chassis woes- Front axle alignment.

Should make you "hands free" on roundabouts!!

On a serious note I reckon if we all measured our chassis there would be some discrepencies, so wait and see what the tyre wear looks like when you are roadworthy. If its not bad then all is well .

I suppose you could check that the nosepeice is correctly aligned if you want too? Maybe check the spring is straight also? To be fair to you I think half inch sound like a lot although more experienced owners may disagree?

Steve.

Re: Re: Re: Chassis woes- Front axle alignment.

Many thanks for the advice. Best wishes, Hugh