Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Speedometer Rebuild?

Can anybody recommend me a good firm to rebuild my Smiths PA speedometer?
Its face is a little crusty, but also the innerds are getting noisy.

many thanks in advance

Re: Speedometer Rebuild?

Hedd,

I have had the following chap recommended to me a few years ago: George Filbey (GF Gauges) 020 8771 9499
gfgauges@lycos.co.uk
I was told that he's knowledgable, his work looks excellent, and he can reproduce dial faces.

Speedograph Richfield (0115 926 4235 info@speedograph-richfield.co.uk) rebuilt a Smiths speedo for me 10 years ago - no complaints.

I can't vouch for how up-to-date this information is - please let us know how you get on!

David

Re: Re: Speedometer Rebuild?

Speedograph Richfield rebuilt a rev counter a year ago for me, fast efficient service .

Hello Hedd and Co,

I don't think you could go past Richfields, they are a close as you can get today to the old "Smiths Industries"

But please let me sound a teeny weenie little warning to you.

The PA Speedo uses a pair of balls in a governor set up, all contained in a 'mazack' or similar casting.

If the unit has become noisy, then I think I would be wise to disconnect it and not use it. You run the risk of the balls coming loose and the innards self destructing.

I will be very interested in getting a report back from you in due course about the cost and efficacy of the repairs you arrange, particularly in regard to the cosmetic aspects of the finished job.

Berst regards

Barry R.

the speedo makes more noise than the gearbox does in 2nd and is allready disconnected!

May I extend this thread to cover 'needle' type speedos?

On my '36 Ruby the speedo is fine up to 40mph but doesn't register any faster until the car is doing 50'ish - at which point the needle will either swing wildly between 30 - 60, or stay resolutely on the 40 mark.

I'm aware that the needle is 'driven' by a rotating magnetic disc. Is 'swing' caused by the magnet weakening over the years? Is a rebuild required or is there another solution?

Nick

I would expect that weakening magnet field (which definitely can/does occur, would be more likely to just make the speedo loose calibration.

I would suggest that you most likely have gunk inside the speedo head, often caused by over lubricating the speedo cable, or worse still lubricating witb oil rather than grease (with the speedo head end wiped clean for some inches)

But it could be dirt/corrosion or a worn spindle bearing.

I wonder if the odometer is working OK, because if it is, that tends to prove the fault to be up in the magnetic drive area/needle spindle etc. The odometer is driven off a gear on the cable side of the magnetic bit, if you can follw what I am trying to say.

I would not want to encourage anyone to go poking about inside the head unless they really do know what they are about.

A check over and clean by a reputable repairer may cost you less than you think.

Having said all that, when I first took delivery of my current Chummy, the speedo was all over the place. Simple fault was a worn "end" on the drive out of the gearbox (a round drive instead of a square one). I couldn't quickly locate a replacement "gear" so I "temporarily" fixed it with a suitable small section of brass square tubing and it has been OK for nearly 5000 miles. But somehow I think your trouble will be internal to the speedo.

Regards

Barry R.

I agree with Barry's comments and just wish to re-inforce some points. In my experience (I was a Smith's service tech years ago) it was common for gearbox (car, not speedo) speedo drive seals to fail, in (combination with over filling with oil) for gearbox oil to be "wound" up to the speedo via the cable. This caused the gunk-up of the rotating internals, and also excessive spindle wear. Oscillating can be caused by this, but often by "wind-up" of the cable, which acts like a torsional spring energy storage device. It does sound like a bit of maintenance is required in your case!

Cheers,
DG

Re: Re: Re: Speedometer Rebuild?

Hedd,
Have the balls fallen out of the main shaft bearings on your speedo?I used a PA speedo on my chummy for thousands of miles after I removed the remains of the balls and adjusted the bearing halves closer together to give a running clearance.It is a screw adjustment if I remember correctly.So it is still possible to function without these balls.Our dog had a similar spherical removal.....
Regards,
Dave

Had my PA repaired by Chris Clark, in Derby. £30. Prompt service and very satisfied. Let me know if you want his details

Yes please Norman.

Willdo Hedd. Soon as I get home this evening

Hedd.

Chris Clark, The Hermitage, 1 Pump Yard, Turnditch, Derbyshire, DE56 2LH. 01773 550485.

Good luck

Good lord, fetched a Fowler TE out of a shed in Turnditch not 18 months ago. Had been in the shed since 1981

Due to the amount of long distance touring I do I have rigged up a push bike digital speedo .This has a trip, total miles,plus speed up to 60mph or if are pro europe you can set it to Kilometres.
The sender is fixed to the spokes of the rear wheel you simply calibrate it, the receiver unit is fixed to the back plate extend the wires(2) to the speedo which I ftted to the steering column and bobs your uncle you have a most accurate speedo and timing device.It also reads up to 9000mls as well Tip top!

Chris
PS cost about £10