Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Valve Cover Breathing?

I read / heard somewhere a suggestion that the valve cover can be connected to the carb to re-cycle the gasses. My car puts a fair amount of smoke from the valve cover holes, which enters the car.

Does anybody have experience of connecting the valve cover the the inlet / carb in some way? Any reason not to do it?

I have a Cambridge Ally cover and an SU carb.

Alternativly, is this just covering up the symptom that there is something else amiss that I should be addressing?

Thanks!

Peter

Re: Valve Cover Breathing?

your valve stems and/or guides are worn. It'll use a bit of oil but other than that I shouldnt worry overly. Wait for the engine to die properly before you fix it. Knackered engines 'go' best!

My old engine did this so I filled up the holes and soldered on a elbow and took that under the car, aimed at the back axle. It is a soloution only to the cabin full of smoke, not the cause.

Re: Re: Valve Cover Breathing?

If you do as Hedd suggests you could refine the idea with a seperator and catch tank assembly , thus allowing you to pour the oil back in again .

Steve .

Re: Valve Cover Breathing?

Before I Did my pistons I had this problem. Crankcase fumes are in the main caused by worn piston rings.I have an updraught carb, so i welded up the vent holes in the valve cover and drilled a 5/8 hole, welded on a tube that lined up with the orifice of the carb and this sucked the fumes into the engine.