Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Thrust Bearing

Having taken the engine out last night to sort the most annoying of my jobs, to change the whiny thrust bearing.

So I've bought one of Davids new bearings, the races are installed in the housing, but before I put it back together I thought I'd ask what lubricants others use?

My Current thinking was to mix up some 'plumbago' a mixture of SAE1000 (steam cylinder oil) and graphite powder and pack it with that.

Or should I just assemble with grease or just oil?

Re: Thrust Bearing

I have to admit that I soak mine in EP140 overnight , let them drain off and fit. I have done it for years . no problems..

I replace the oiler tube with a grease nipple and half fill the bearing with grease. See neglected bits July 10 2006.
In looking for that posting I now realise what Mac does in tidying this site up-certain postings have disappeared. Dave Mann

Hi Hedd
Do make sure that the oil drilling in the carrier is clear before you fit your new bearing! Like Mac,I have always used 140 gear oil

Re: Re: Thrust Bearing

The carrier is now smarter than when new, all the burrs from hamfisted repairs and ajustments over the years gone, oil holes clear, and new races loctited in.

Much as I think a grease nipple would be a good idea, I think it would be easy to get carried away and fill it so much that it bursts the cover plate off. Also if it got out I suspect that grease would have a profound effect on the effectiveness of the clutch. My experiance shows that oil appears to have very little effect on it.

Re: Re: Re: Thrust Bearing

I have been using motorcycle chain lube for some time with good results. The lubricant is slightly sticky and comes in an aerosol with a straw for easy application.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Thrust Bearing

If you have the thrust out of the car you can try chainsaw oil boy is that sticky!
Chris