Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
UK LAW and CHILD SEATS in an A7 help

Can anyone from experience tell me the requirments.
My understanding is the construction and use act "probably" (and I love that act, it is so good for A7's !!.....) probably, means a child seat is not required, I cant see anyway to fit one anyway, apart from serious modifications to drilling bolt holes in horrible places, and then it would have to be tested by DOI to achieve a standard required....
So has anyone tested an A7 with a small person in it and is it ok ?

Re: UK LAW and CHILD SEATS in an A7 help

Jason if you e mail me i will forward you the site you need to visit

Hi jason,
I have been asked to fit a child seat in a tourer, it proved impossible, once fitted it has to comply with construction regulations, and MOT requirments, which it can never do! If it can't be fitted then you don't have to. Just pile them in the back, with the dog and lots of sandwiches and go! As a child i used to stand on the seat with my head out of the sunshine roof, but in those days nobody bothered!!

Re: Re: UK LAW and CHILD SEATS in an A7 help

As a child I used to stand in front of the passenger seat holding the dash whilst 'helping' during gear changes!.

Whilst not having a family currently, the wife and I have discussed the matter of child seats. I think fitting a seat in the rear is a pretty simple job, provided if care is chosen in the type of seat used. A seat with a frame can easily be bolted to the floor where any holes drilled they are not obvious. If a heavy job is required strengthening plates could easily pick up the chassis extensions.

The matter of the construction and use regs is a bit of a nonsence unless you are being paid to do the job.

If you have a prang, would you rather your child be flung about, or be secured in a child seat?. I know which I'd rather despite what the law says. I also know if you just happened to be in front of 'The Beak' over it, im sure they would look favourably on a seat rather than no seat.

Re: Re: Re: UK LAW and CHILD SEATS in an A7 help

Sorry Hedd, can't agree with all you write. If you fit a child seat, it has to comply. End of story. If it doesn't, and the worst happens, you could end up at the mercy of the Courts who cannot ignore the Law regardless of their personal feelings. Child seat anchorage systems are designed for the purpose. It's not just a case of drilling some holes and fitting a bit of heavy metal to reinforce the job. Be very careful.

STEVE

My understanding of the seat-belt law regarding children is that a child under 3 MUST be restrained in a proper saftey seat, there is no exemption. After that the question of front or back seats would appear to rely on the age and height of the child.

Simply bolting a seat into an Austin Seven would not seem to be an option unless the mounting points are attached to the chassis and I understand that some form of approval with destructive testing may be necassary.

I think it all boils down to no under threes and small children over three must be in the back.

Re: Re: UK LAW and CHILD SEATS in an A7 help

I've done a bit of digging via a friend who is a civil servant. Apparently the law is clear cut. If the vehicle has no form of restraints fitted. Then a child of any age may travel unrestrained (as can an adult)

if you go on the think road safety website this is confirmed, it refers particularly to 'classic cars'

Re: Re: Re: UK LAW and CHILD SEATS in an A7 help

That's how I understand it as well Hedd. You might think it rather perverse that you do not break any law if you carry your child unrestrained in your Seven but may well do if you fit a safety seat yourself and carry your child 'restrained' but them is the rules

STEVE

Re: Re: Re: Re: UK LAW and CHILD SEATS in an A7 help

As Mr Micawber said;
"If that is the law sir, then the law is a ass!"

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: UK LAW and CHILD SEATS in an A7 help

As daddy to the Doyle Boys the law is very clear. We have had our Austin 7 enjoyment curbed this year as number three son is only two. He can only travel in a motor car if he is in a child seat, regardless of age of the car. That would mean trying to fit some sort of restraint in our Ruby. As my other two boys are older than three they can jump around in the back of the Ruby to there hearts content! So child under three in a child seat, three plus can travel unrestrained in your Austin 7. Obviously if you have a vehicle with seat belts they must be used. If you need a Booster put some more air in your seats!!