Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Lack of oomph - again!

Another of those 'for what it's worth' experiences.

Following my post about the kinked hose on the Ruby causing overheating and lost horses I have now found a new way lose 'get up and go'...

My '34 Special runs with an S.U. carb and for some while now has displayed a marked reluctance to propel itself at anything more than about 45mph. Last season 60mph was perfectly possible whenever bravery overcame common sense. Last weekend I decided to have a real go at finding out what was wrong. Made all the usual checks of ignition and fuel - nothing apparently amiss. In the ensuing 'Hamlet' moment I suddenly thought - what if the butterfly isn't opening fully?

Whipped off the intake trumpet - peered inside - lo and behold I found that the butterfly was only 2/3 from the horizontal when the throttle was fully open. The accelerator linkage clamp to butterfly shaft had loosened and allowed the shaft to rotate a little. Reset the position, pinched up the nut - and found on test that 60+ came up without miraculous ease!

Re: Lack of oomph - again!

A friend of mine had a similar experience on one of the continental runs that the Brooklands Centre of the 750MC organised in the 1970s. His Chummy refused to do more than about 35 mph; investigation revealed that the accelerator pedal was hitting the carpet before the throttle was fully open. Re-setting the accelerator lever on the throttle shaft transformed it!

David