Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Radiator Surround

Can anyone with a handy tape measure, and the appropriate car, tell me the height of a late mag engined Chummy rad surround from the bottom to the bonnet rest flange please?

STEVE

Re: Radiator Surround

Not to easy with it on the car Steve,it looks about 22" from the very bottom of the shell up to the bonnet rest.

Re: Re: Radiator Surround

Appreciate that Ian. Should do for what I want. Many thanks.

STEVE

Re: Radiator Surround

Steve, the last of the "late mag engined" cars had the plated "taller" shell, but presumably you mean the black-painted "shorter" shell. The reason for the inverted commas is that most don't realise that laid out on the bench the shells are exactly the same height - 22 1/4", so you have no worries - it's just that the earlier one has a curved bottom that sits below the chassis nose on the car (thus the top is lower to the ground), whereas the plated shell has a flat bottom which sits on top of the nosepiece. If it's of help, the bottom of the crank-hole is 20 3/4" to the top rear lip, wheras the later shell is 1 1/2" higher. Confused? Cheers, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: Radiator Surround

No Bill, certainly not confused as that confirms exactly what I have now proved to myself by comparing examples of the two shells. I'm trying to 'mix and match' with what I've got rather than buy a new shell. Thanks for your help.

STEVE