Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Back axle oil leak

I have a fairly decent oil leak on my back axle now it has the correct oil, no big deal, I top up now and again and it is annoying more than a problem. The oil seams to come from the joint between the centre casing and the two trumpets. A hairline crack in the paint shows that there has been some movement though the bolts are tight (I've checked them).

Is it possible say if I take off the hubs, loosen off the trumpets, while on the car to prise the casing open enough to insert a instant gasket type stuff??

I accept that a proper job is the order of the day, and likely will happen over the winter , but carrying a tin of 140 and a squirter is a pain in the rear if I go away far or for a couple of three days.

Re: Back axle oil leak

I think Frosts list some gubbins that you can apply to leaking joints from the outside without dismantling. Never tried it, but could be worth a go?

Regards, Stuart

I thought that I had a similar problem and put new paper gaskets on but still had the same problem. Close examination revealed that the leaks were through the threads of the studs and nuts.
I have elected to live with it for now as it only amounts to a few drops in a month but I will one day dismantle the casing and seal the threads.

Re: Re: Back axle oil leak

Hedd

Depending on how seized the rear spring pins are it wouldnt be that much work to split the casing to effect a proper repair. People who have changed a halfshaft midway through a long trip or holiday will be familiar with the process!!!

Failing that a nice bead of weld all the way round would be a permanent solution .

Steve.

Re: Re: Re: Back axle oil leak

Leak is more than a drop or two, but not bad enough to make me want to take the axle off yet..... I seem to remember when we did the axle on mothers RP it was a swine to put back.

My spring shackle is not in the slightest bit rusty yet.

I will investigate frosts stuff. It may do tempororily. Ta very much

I'd be surprised if the rear spring pins are not rusty, the design flaw in the lubrication of these items guarantees grease goes anywhere but where it is needed. Usually out the gap where the end of the leaf is rolled round to make the spring eye.
Oil leaks on Austins are normal look at any 1930s photo or film of Austins in showrooms or exibitions, they all have drip trays underthem. Dave

Re: Re: Back axle oil leak

Dave

I think Hedds pins may have been put together fairly recently so he will probably be OK I think?

On the subject of rear spring lubrication mine exhibits the problem you describe whereby the grease squirts out from the end of the spring! Has anyone ever come up with a mod to improve lubrication here?

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Back axle oil leak

10 years ago. Everything was put together with plumbago, a mixture of steam oil and graphite flakes. I even filled the gap between the two bushes in the spring with it. Very good stuff. The chassis parts then had probably 6 coats of paint.

I spent half a day under the thing about a month ago cleaning it for the MOT, the only bit of rust on the chassis is on the springs and just a little on one of the wheel arches. Amazing really.