Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
broken stud

Hi All,have removed head breaking one stud,
just under the nut, would like help on how to
remove ,have been spraying with WD40, but dont
want to brake any more off, drilling out,
my worst nightmare, all help welcomed,

thanks Dai.

Re: broken stud

Dai

I have recently been using a "freezing" spray made by "Wurth" who supply garages.
I was a bit sceptical but it seems to work in some cases? You spray the seized bit and in your case grip it well and hopefully unwind it!

If you have to drill it out I would strongly advise you make a guide/jig. Some thick plate can be used to make a template that slips over the non damaged studs and has a hole in it that exactly lines up with the broken stud that is filed flat. You can then drill down the middle of the stud hopefully keeping square!! A left handed drill bit can be used when you are nearly there which will often "wind out" the damaged bit.

If in doubt get someone else to do it! When I worked at a local machine shop most of the broken studs we got in had been messed around with by owners and this usually made our job harder!!

Steve

Re: Re: broken stud

Why make a jig and risk inaccuracy?. Use the head and a bush.

I,m with Hedd. I have an old cylinder head I use as a jig for drilling out broken head studs. And incidently one old manifold as a jig if one of them breaks. I now always put a thread insert in using a recoil system .

Re: Re: broken stud

Well done chaps .
As you point out this would be much better way and easier!
We had a selection of plates with all sorts of holes drilled in which we used to mess about with until something lined up, but of course if you have possesion of the head or manifold this would be much quicker and easier.
I stand corrected . Of course the stud may not break off completely so lets hope that the advice may not be needed?

Steve

Re: Re: Re: broken stud

When you get the studs out use new ones made of decent tough steel en16 I think, they will not break.The ones from the supplies are just soft mild steel.
Chris

Not all suppliers - some sell better quality spares... See www.a7c.co.uk/spares.htm#cylinderblock

David

Hi David,

did you ever get anywhere with finding out about the problems with Pheonix Crankshafts and Magneto starting handle dogs??

Cheers

R

hello, and thank you for your replys, have now replaced 2 head studs, and 1 exhaust stud, ground valves, set tappets, still to finish tightening head down, pulls like a train now, but, oil coming up no 1 stud, and aroughness to engine, like being over advanced, could this be the tappets, i admitt i never want to see another collect in my life, no smoke, just a rough edge,or am i hearing, feeling things, did 70 odd miles last saterday, no probs, apart from above,
all the best DAI, on a wet argyll morning.

Dai, it is unlikely to be oil coming up No 1 stud as the oil should not get anywhere near the head. What you are likely seeing is a mixture of petrol and carbon. This may well indicate that you head is less than flat and the gasket is not doing a great job around the central stud.