Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Boyce Moto Meter

Anyone know of a supplier of replacement thermometers for a ‘Boyce Moto Meter’ Gem model? I think it should be about 4 inches long. When Bruce Whites site was up and running someone in the Australian club said they were kept as a stock item, the site crashed before I could get one. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Boyce Moto Meter

Me too.I have always thought as they are still made replacements should be available

Hi Ian and David,

Go to www.restorationstuff.com and download their 2007 catalogue in PDF form. Page 35 of 48 has original Boyce Motometer parts, for example new SR Thermometers @ $39·95 + shipping. Whether these are the same as the 'Gem' model, I'm not sure. Unfortunately as you can tell they're based in the USA, Escondido in California to be precise. They do appear to ship internationally and there's probably never been a better time to buy with the pound being so high.

Jeff

Re: Re: Boyce Moto Meter

Try not to get 'left-hand drive' thermometer vials.They are very directional because of the magnifying lens.

Most, if not all, of the UK complete units on offer are to be viewed from the passenger seat - unless you wear them at an angle!

Helpful souls often try to straighten mine up for me by over-tightening the radiator cap.

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Boyce Moto Meter

Yes my repro can only be seen from the passenger side, so would like to get my original one sorted, have had it for 20 years but could never find a thermometer.

I went down this route about 2 years ago and got no further than the catalogue. They don't fit the Gem model...

IIRC I did email them and ask but they don't have them.

If anyone does work out how to do it please let us all know. (I now have 2 broken ones and one good one!) It seems silly (and expensive) to buy a whole new repro one just to get the thermometer out!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Boyce Moto Meter

Just a thought, is it not possible to remove, rotate 180 & reinstall the lens so that the image is directed to the UK drivers side?

DG

I have in front of me a very battered Boyce Motometer, Gem model but in working order. It appears to be single seater, magnification straight ahead. My r.h.d. Ulster has a repro 'Gem' bought from France over 30 years ago (l.h.d.). To be able to read it whilst driving it has to be set at quite a jaunty angle. If replacement thermometers are available (3.5") they can be reset at any driving position.

Graham,How do you know for sure they are 3 1/2" long? Is it removed from the meter?

My old Motometer has had a hard life, most plating polished off, one screw missing,one lens cracked and at some time it's had the unthreaded last 1/2 inch crushed in a vice so popping out the small brass sealing disc. The undamaged bulb of the working thermometer element is 3/8 inch in.

Thanks Graham,Will have to see if we can get some made.

Re: Re: Re: Boyce Moto Meter

Graham,how long is the brass bit on your meter, mine is 40mm. At 3 1/2" long the bottom of the thermometer would come just leval with the bottom of the thread.About 1/2" short of the end of the brass part.