Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Girling stub axles

Carrying on from the rear spring pin subject I have trouble with my Semi Griling stub axles?
The core plugs top and bottom do not stay in very well, and even if I try to grease carefully they tend to leak and pop out and of course this stops the grease following the correct path to the bush/pin interface. I know that the earlier type have threaded plugs but has anyone found a way to rectify the problem I have with the later type?

Steve

Re: Girling stub axles

Steve,

I had problems with the thread in the earlier type stub axles being damaged, its an odd thread so no chance of a tap. I ended up dressing a grinding point in a dremel to the right V profile to clean the thread out it worked a treat and rescued an otherwise useless part.

You may find you can use a dremel or similar to grind a groove for the core plugs to engage helping them to stay put.

Regards

Rob

Re: Re: Girling stub axles

I've suffered from the problem with the Girling core plugs as have many others. One of the main problems seems to be the damage to he recess from previous fitting of the plugs and this leads to the plugs being a poor fit. The advice is always to clean the recess up with a file, removing burrs and punch marks but this is all but impossible to acheive to a satisfactory degree.

I've recently solved this by buying an end mill on ebay (cost £2-00 brand new) to the diameter of the recess (about 3/4"??). With this in the drill press and the stub mounted square in the press vice, the mill can be used to carefully clean out the recess to 'as new' condition. I've also found the recess can be made deeper by about 20 thou at either end. The Core plugs then fit as they were intended and do hold in place.

The bottom plug is difficult to compress once in place so I fit this first and compress it in the vice before the final fitting of the stub to the axle.

I've done two such stubs this last week and they seem OK so far.

STEVE

Re: Re: Re: Girling stub axles

Thanks chaps

I like the sound of cleaning up the area with an end mill. I think when time allows I will give this a try .

Thanks

Steve

Re: Girling stub axles

Yes I cleaned and deeped the core plug recesses using a lathe and this worked well for quite a few years. However eventually I unseated one plug (over enthusiastic use of the grease gun) and made a hard wood wedge to hold the plug in place, which has worked well. Dave