Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Imperial Grease Nipples

The replacent shackles on my Chummy have "hydraulic imperial nipples", however I cant find a grease gun that fits them (mine only fits properly onto metric hydraulic nipples and leaks on the imperial ones).
Any clues?
Mike

Re: Imperial Grease Nipples

Had the choice of answering this on either the VSCC Forum or here Mike but as your a Seven Man, will put my two pennyworth here!!

Are you using a flexible or solid 'hose'? I've always found that the flexible hoses leak as you describe so always use a solid pipe so that you can push against the nipple slightly eliminating the leak. It may also be that the nipple is seized/blocked. Try changing it for a different one to see if that performs any better.

I also use a 'hook on' gun on the Tecalmait (spelling?) nipples on my LeaF. Once hooked on properly, leaking isn't a problem.

STEVE

Re: Imperial Grease Nipples

I had this problem when I first got my Ruby. You need a grease gun designed for them. The modern type only clamp over the rounded ball-shaped nipples, whereas the old type depend on the force you apply to the gun to hold them on.

I'd buy an old ram-type gun and use a piece of clean cotton rag between the gun and the nipple to make a nice tight fit (the grease will go straight through). By the way, the old type gun seems to work fine on the new nipples, but not the other way round.