Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Boyce Motometer again

If we can get some thermometers made at a reasonable cost, who would want one with no commitment at this stage.

Re: Boyce Motometer again

Ian Yes please David

Yes please, (I guess that my dad would want one as well - Graham Harris.)

Ian - I don't have your latest email address - can you contact me please. Cheers, Bill

Hi Ian,

I've been speaking to an old friend of mine this morning, an Austin Seven owner for over 35 years. He recalls buying a couple of new thermometers for his 'Gem' models around 15 years ago from (he thinks) Ron Bailey who was apparently well known in A7 circles at the time and was from the Nottingham area. He'd apparently had a batch of new thermometers made. Does this name ring any bells with anyone?

Jeff

Ron Bailey is still very much a part of the A7 scene and he's still in the Nottingham area. He is particularly good at rebuilding dynamos.

David

Did anything ever come of this? Would be good to get some spares, (for the various broken ones we have!)

There are new ones here (£32 + VAT);

They are a bit shiny though, (although they do make plain brass ones that could be "aged" nicely - or one could use it as a base to put the original old parts onto.)

They don't supply just the thermometers but have put me in touch with someone who can help.

Has anyone tried taking one apart? IE are they easy to refurbish? I haven't got my broken one here at the moment.

Not sure why the link didn't work...

Vintage Car parts

Got a reply;

Russell Scientific Instruments Ltd
Rash's Green Industrial Estate
Dereham, Norfolk, NR19 1JG
Tel: 01362 693481
Fax: 01362 698548
www.russell-scientific.co.uk

The cost of the replacement thermometer to the Boyce Moto Meter is £55 +
return special delivery post & packing £8 + VAT. Please send the whole
instrument to us.

Seems a bit expensive to me as a whole new one can be got for £35 odd...

This appears to have turned into a one man thread, sorry for the ramblings...

After a bit of Google / eBay searching I have found that there are loads for sale in the US, (as they were made there not really surprising. Sold as the "Junior" rather than Gemm.

They seem to go for a bit less than they do here, although the shipping is bit higher.

Also came across a few threads on American car forums about them, this one being the best.

Basically, if it's all red then it is fine and not broken.

I have just got one that is all red off ebay for £30, will be trying this trick myself when it arrives.