Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Locking dor handles

I have lockable door handles on my 1934 Box saloon.I remember that I also had them on a late 1933 box 40 years ago. Can anyone tell me if this would have been standard or would they have been a modern addition (although they look correct). Richard

Re: Locking dor handles

Mothers RP also has locking handles, though my RL does not.

Is it true that the RN's and RP's only had locking handles on the drivers side, but not on the passenger side?

Re: Re: Locking dor handles

No and no. RP's didn't have locking door handles - I still have the original, non-locking, handles from the RP (Dec '33) that I used to own left over from when I converted it to locking handles.

STEVE

It is a little known fact that during the 20's and the beginning of the 30's it was against the law to lock the doors on your car !!!! I persume this was to allow the car to be moved if it was in the way !

When door locks were permitted ( I think about 1933 ish ) accessory manufacturers produced replacement handles with locks and in their adverts included the phrase " now it is legal to lock your car why not fit our replacement door locks"( or words to the effect ).

As far as I know the Ruby was the first A7 to have production fitted door locks which is why the pasenger door latch has the little swing lever to lock the doors inside.

I am sure someone will prove me wrong but if you RP etc. is fitted with driver door lock then they may be an 'after market' accessory.

Re: Re: Locking door handles

Thanks to everyone for that information. It confirms what I thought. Richard

I confirm what Malcolm says, one of my RP's - March 1934 - CV 9998 - has the original door handles, non-locking, although when I purchased it the drivers door handle had been changed to a locking one, but the passenger was original and could not be 'locked' in anyway. The original dricers door handle was passed to me by the previous owners son some time after a bought the car.

My other March 1934 RP - CG 7241 - had non-locking door handles when I bought it in 1961, I replaced them faily quickly as I used the car on a daily basis and use to travel up to London's West End for weekends from Southampton and also to other far flung places - Norwich, Sheffield, Cornwall etc etc. After it was 'taken' once I fitted door locks.

I have a 'pin' that prevents the passenger door being opened on CV 99998 - an idea I acknowledge came from Eddy Angel of the Cornwall Club.

CG 7241 is still under restoration!!!!!!!

Sandy.