Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Torque tube broken at rear axle flange

1933 RP Saloon. My torque tube has broken completely at the spot where the straight tube is welded to the flange that bolts onto the rear axle's "D". The car can still be driven, so the shaft itself is intact. Several questions before I go taking things apart:

1. Is it weldable?
2. Can I remove the torque tube and shaft only, or do I need to remove the entire rear axle assembly first?
3. Looks like after I remove the prop shaft I can detach the flange from the "D" and pull the whole thing through the opening in floor. Can I?
4. Any specifics to watch out for during the operation (bearings, other?)
5. What is the likely cause of this problem?

Thanks!
David

Re: Torque tube broken at rear axle flange

1. Of course in theory, but will it be in alignment? Better to source a new torque tube.

2. Yes, you can just remove the torque tube with the axle in situ (but see 4.)

3. Easier to remove it from underneath (but see 4.)

4. The axle will need to be 'set' up' again when you re-assemble. See the Companion or Woodrow's Manual. Needs to be done with no oil in and with the CWP 'clean' though so axle removal required

5. Heaven knows!!

STEVE

The axle can be 'set up' on the car, you of course need to remove the hubs and clean the innards with some sort of thinners. As a teenager I watched father doing this after the bolts came loose and the shims fell out.

I must admit that lots of swearing was involved and I think I would take the axle off to do it If I were to tackle the job.

Re: Re: Torque tube broken at rear axle flange

I would take the axle off if it was me.

I have rebuilt my axle twice, once I did it with blue and feel, which with worn parts is not very easy. I was not satisfied with the result so I borrowed the setting gauge that the Cornwall club guys have for the D type axle. If you look in the source book it is the "eccentric" type gauge, you read off the numbers on your crownwheel and pinion (matching of course!) and then"dial up" this setting on the gauge. The gauge goes in were the crownwheel lives and you insert the pinion. The gap between the faces is measured with feelers and a suitable shim is then used to reasssemble.
I set the backlash on my worn out parts by putting it on stands and running at about 30 mph and moving the crownwheel side to side with the adjusters till it went quiet....ish. It has ran very well and not as noisy as its worn out looks would suggest!

If you havnt got access to a gauge which is probably the case , then using engineers blue is difficult with worn parts, the pictures you see in text books are for nice shiny new parts!

Best of luck.

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Torque tube broken at rear axle flange

A setting gauge.
I've seen the pictures but sort of assumed that they had all disappeared.

Charles

Re: Re: Re: Re: Torque tube broken at rear axle flange

Charles

I believe that a few were made by a member of the Cornwall club?
No doubt Malcolm Watts will confirm this if he is watching?
It works really well and is invaluable if you are using second hand parts as it enables you to set the axle were it would have been originally, so at least you know you are in the ball park so to speak .

Steve

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Torque tube broken at rear axle flange

Thanks to all! I've found a tube and will arrange shipment tomorrow. Will pursue the setting gauge as well.

David

Steve is right, I did make a few, and even took some to Beaulieu 'International' Autojumble but no-one seemed interested in them. I shall be going again in September so if anyone is interested pehaps they could let me know and I will see if I have time to make some more. They are fairly time consuming to make so I don't want to make more if there is no demand.

Malcolm

Re: Re: Malcolm--Torque tube broken at rear axle flange

Malcolm,
I would be interested in one, based on cost, but am in Texas so won't be at the autojumble. Please email me with your thoughts on coming up with one you could mail to me...
Thanks!
David

Hi David,

I have emailed you direct, for anyone else who may be interested, I have had a couple of people interested so I shall be making a few in the next month or so.

I am changing the materials used to reduce weight and production time so I have no idea of cost as yet.

David,
I had a torque tube break at the same position.
I suspect it was because I overtightened the large spherical joint nut on the torque tube/torque tube anchor bracket.
Regards,
Dave