Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rear Blind on Barn Find

Hi

I took this picture over 20 years ago when on holiday on Anglesey. (The car has since been rescued by others.)

The original rear blind was in place - does anyone have drawings/pictures of said item so that it might be recreated? Do many original blinds exist?

Regards

Colin

Re: Rear Blind on Barn Find

wayne Rushin was doing good replica rear blind kits. call him on 0116 2848970

Incidentally, the blind is there for a purpose, not to conceal any shananigans that may be taking place on the back seat, but to cut out headlight glare from non-dipping headlights behind you.... honestly.

We now have rear view mirrors we can 'dip' with a quick finger stab. Long ago, fixed, single plane mirrors, the car behind with headlights all over the place just blinded you, even if it was just 6v, 24watt headlamps...

Sandy

just got home from a run to and back from Leamington Spa, I wish I had a blind now. The lights of the cars behind got on my nerves.

Hedd, if your still on 6v (like me) then you will have been driving into a black hole with the fringe of your vision nice and bright......

I have this trouble in Cornwall, only most of the time It's from the 'visitors' who don't know where the're going and why!!!!

Sandy

I absolutely agree with Sandy a rear blind is essential for night driving to stop glare.

yes 6v, added to a blown bulb in the drivers side headlamp for the last 20 miles!. Better that the paraffin lamps on my steam roller mind.

If it is of help to anyone, I have an original rear blind and all the little bone/Ivory/whatever pieces that the cord runs through. I will eventually get round to fitting it to my RP but after I get round to fitting the headlining!

Re: Re: Rear Blind on Barn Find

I have a blind on my RM (which is on a slow boat to China) When I feel that I am being hassled from behind I pull it up as it states ''I can go slower''

Chris

Just a note of caution,

there were a variety of blinds used by Austin over the years from simple 'Roman' style blinds to roller blinds. I don't believe the Ruby blinds were the same as the chrome rad box blinds which certainly were not the same as the RK saloon blinds. It is best to follow the type used on the same model car if you are looking for originality.

The point made by Sandy about glare is very true although from experience most of the glare comes from the vertical windscreen glass which acts as a mirror when it is dark outside and let's face it with 6v lights it will be dark outside !

Hedd, I have one Box blind kit left - it's grey I think. I must get some more made (also the Ruby ones). I have plenty of the knobs and hooks.

Cheers, David

> I wish I had a blind now. The lights of the cars behind got on my nerves.