Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Rear Saloon Window - Fitting

I rang 'a friend' about best way to fit the rubber moulding and glass into the rear window opening of a RP Saloon (So apart from using recommended Sik-o-fix to waterproof the gaps etc..). I was advised it requires two people which if one is your married partner, could lead to a divorce - the implication being that it's not very easy.....

So I shall now 'ask the audience' for any recommendations on fitting a rear window glass and rubber - please bear in mind I have already been divorced twice and cannot afford any more alimony!

This all started with a core plug that 'blew' on the way to a coffee morning in Truro, then once back home having missed the coffee event , I decided at long last to replace the not very well made rear window interior surround, etc - it's a long story but the car is now fully serviced with new oil/grease everywhere, all electrical gaps, brakes, cables etc etc checked. So I now just need to get the old glass back in the back opening with new rubber and surround and not descend into to some sort of maritial nightmare - although I know the dog will stand/sit by me.

Sandy

Re: Rear Saloon Window - Fitting

Sandy,

All my glass is rectangular, I stuck on half a window rubber to the painted body with 'Tigerseal', then stuck the rectangular glass to the wood frame and rubber etc with more 'tigerseal'.

Sandy,

Dad and I changed the back window in our RP after my sister cracked it with her elbow (dads fault for pulling off so quick), i dont remember it being that difficult although it may depend on the rubber section you have, we just refitted the old one. Just give it a go!!

Regards

Rob

Do you know the bit about using string to pull the rubber flanges out? Be careful to tighten the screws evenly on the inner frame or the glass will crack (I proved this to be true twice!!)
Andy

Hi

This was definitely a job for two on my Ruby, which may be less trouble than a Box since the window corners are more rounded? It was easy for the loose window to fall in the early stages so I positioned something soft for it to land on.

The replacement glass I tried first was fractionally larger than the original and would not fit, so we went back to the original one, which was still a very tight fit with the new gasket. I did not think to use string, but did use some car washing detergent (no salt?) as a lubricant.

After a few days, when the rubber had destressed, the outside flange was not as straight as it might have been using a better method.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Colin

Hi sandy, this is the way I do it. Clean the glass thoroughly. Offer up the rubber to it and cut the rubber 1/2 inch LONGER than the wrap round size. Fit it back and with the overlapped join at the top thread round on both sides a thin ,strong cord Twice inside the lip. This gives you two chances to pull the lip up.Bring the two ends of the cord out at the join and join each bit with the first half of a knot. and tape the ends to the glass. Spray the aperture with silicon. From the inside push the glass against it( happy helper!). take the first string and pull steadily. not a too sharp an angle or you will cut into the rubber. It is essential the pressure is maintained from the inside. To do this whilst th helper is pressing I put the innner panel in position and put 4 screws to hold it. THese will have to be eased when you do the inner rubber lip ,before final tightening.WHen finally fitted ,I gun in black silicon seal under the lip,press it down and wipe away the excess.YOu will find the excess 1/2 inch has been absorbed with no gap at the join. THen have a mug of tea and a "Nauhty!.

Many thanks for the help, I thought I would be clever and charge ahead on Wednesday and do it - It was one of those days when I should not have got out of bed - I now have ordered a new rerar glass window - original broken - more rubber seal - liquid for the consumption of and I'm going away for 4 days (Malvern and Milton Keynes!!!), when I return I shall try again with proper help.

Mac - Strange thing is I tried the rubber seal - slack - around the edge, cut it to length and instantly it was an inch short........

Many thanks again to all,

Sandy