Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Ruby - Slipping Clutch

Hi

On the way back today, the clutch seemed to be slipping a bit when accelerating in top gear. Is there an adjustment that can be made to stop this, without taking out the gearbox? (!)

The clutch is the late Ruby type with the linings on the plate. The present linings have been in about seven years - perhaps there is oil contamination? When I originally returned the car to the road the clutch linings were blackened and polished - like glass - and the clutch slipped...

Regards

Colin

Re: Ruby - Slipping Clutch

The lever can be moved on the shaft , but essentially there is no adjustment. the clearence between the release levers is established when first assembled and that is it , it grows old gracefully! Surprising a little oil contamination should not be a problem, just make sure you do not over fill the gearbox, The g/box will have to come out, I am afraid, bead blast the flywheel and pressure plate to remove the glaze.A rub with emery cloth under these circumstances is not enough. Replace the springs , they are so inexpensive.If the linings are "Glazed",but in good condition they too can be gently bead blasted to restore the co efficient of friction. Adjust the release levers so that they are all equal. mac

If you can get fullers earth (from your well-stocked local chemist), place it into a talc powder bottle and puff it into the oiler hole of the gearbox whilst the engine is running and the is clutch depressed.

This has helped clutch slip for me in the past and may well do the same for you, it soaks up the oil and friction is returned. If not then Mac's advise is sound.

Good luck

Ruairidh

Thank you for your answers - I will have a go.

Regards

Colin