Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Body Removal

M' learned friends are trying to dissuade me from removing the body of my RL during my restorations. They say it is more trouble than its worth unless absolutely essential because of rigidity problems once off the chassis. The Companion makes a similar point.

The only reason I was considering it was to bead blast the chassis and generally do a proper job etc. Can anyone give me an idea of how heavy the RL body would be with wings and doors removed?

Re: Body Removal

Not very heavy. Two can easily move it about, though it takes four to lift in on/off the chassis.

and in my experience, 10 years to put it back again.... :-(

Hi Norman.

I took the body off my Mk1 Pearl about 6 years back, to restore the chassis. I did it on my own, lifting it to the side (having romoved the steering column). The only tricky bit was getting it over the handbrake but I used the rear wheels to balance the back of the body and then lifted the front over this. I kept the doors on to try and prevent any body distortion.

It was a bit of a fiddle but I managed it and was able to start driving it again after a couple of weeks. If you have eveything prepared in advance then it helps. I also did it outside so I could lay the body down on the grass beside the chassis. Some people weld struts across the body to strengthen it, I couldn't do this as I wasn't wanting to damage the paintwork etc.

Good luck

Ruairidh

Thats what worries me Hugh - the time it might take to put it back on again!!

On the plus side, I already have the engine/gearbox out as well as the steering column and handbrake. I just dont want it to fold like a pack of cards if or when I take the body off!!

mine came without a chassis, or an engine, or axles, or wheels........

Norman,

It very much depends on the general condition of the body shell, if it has serious rust around the wheel arches and across the back to floor join etc then it would be better to sort these first but if the body is fairly sound then really you have little problem. Make sure any packing pieces between body and chassis are kept and put back in the same place. Once you have the body off don't do any structural repairs as the body shell may not the true off of the chassis.

If you are replacing the roof which I guess is fabric with a wooden support structure you may well be able to lift the body by placing a piece of timer across the car through the door openings and then lift with a hoist through the roof. I used this method on an RP saloon.

The body shell is very light once all the glass, trim and doors are removed, two fit people can lift it off and in my case, back on again.

When you re-fit the body to the chassis then do replace the doors and use the waist line moulding around the car to ensure the doors and body are square to each other. Be logical and methodical and it will all work well,

good luck.

Re: Re: Body Removal

You are so right Hugh I have seen plenty of garages with the body removed and owner has either..lost interest,lost his wife, or Died! Keep it on restore as is and use it, use it and use it!
Chris

Re: Re: Body Removal

I think you should take the body off at this stage, but also have clear plans for getting work done and putting it back again quick! I generally agree with Malcolm's approach, but would suggest caution over his method of lifting. I know of three occasions where the roof has separated at the front and left the body looking like a mechanical crocodile!
Ron

Re: Re: Re: Body Removal

Like Ruairdh I some years back took a Ruby body (complete) off by myself to do welding repairs on a customer's pride and joy. When it came time to put it back on the chassis I told the client that he and I could put it back on by ourselves. Well we did but not without him straining his back, a problem he had for months. Luckily he was also a friend, otherwise litigation may have raised it's ugly head. Suggest you grab 3 mates and make it easier for all, especially yourself. Cheers, Bill in Oz

My plan will be to remove the doors and window glass to keep the weight down and reduce the chances of double hernias