Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Oil & Petrol Filters

Does anyone have dimensions for the conical filters that should be fitted in the respective filler necks on an early coil engined Chummy?

Re: Oil & Petrol Filters

Brian,

If this picture loads - there you have it.

It is a witches hat configuration. The brim is a small brass sheet pressing, but for a one-off several other ways are possible.

Best of luck.

Mike

Re: Re: Oil & Petrol Filters

Sorry, I meant to say that I do not have a petrol filter. I would also be interested in the dimensions of that myself.

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Oil & Petrol Filters

Many thanks for that Mike. According to the pictures in my spar parts book, the petrol filter is similar so it would be possible to measure up the filler pipe and make one. What I am not sure about is if the filter just sits on the flange at the top of the filler pipe or if it should bayonet lock into some small cutouts that the flange on mine has.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil & Petrol Filters

Brian,

There is no individual fixing, the filter just drops into the filler hole. It is ultimately retained by the cap.

A sort of oil damped rattle

Mike

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil & Petrol Filters

Sorry Mike, I think I have been a bit misleading here; my oil filler looks just the same as yours but my other comments were in regards to the petrol filler. Mine has a scuttle mounted tank and has small semi circular cutouts in the flange where the filter would fit and I wondered if something should fit into them in the form of a bayonet fitting.
Many thanks for the drawing and for the picture which confirm what I thought the filter might look like. Time to dust down the lathe and practise solderering gauze.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oil & Petrol Filters

These filters seem like a very good idea to me. I am suprised they are not more commonly found.

A question if I may? If one is fitted into the fuel filler neck, would you still be able to get the pump nozzle into it at the petrol station?

Steve

Re: Oil & Petrol Filters

The petrol filters are a nightmare if you use them at filling stations (takes ages for the fuel to go through), the gauze is pretty good at keeping out elephants and the like though, but not necessary these days at all.

I have some in a box somewhere in the gareage and can take some photos, if you still want to make one.

Cheers

R

As far as I am aware the mag engine oil filter is cylindrical witha brass flange and a solid brass baseit sitson the crankcase lip
the coil engine oil filter is conical and sits on the ledge in the filler tube
the scuttle tank filter is cylindrical with a domed gauze base also finer gauze than the oil one
There is also a gauze smaller dia cylindrical dome base for the rad certainly for vintage years

Re: Re: Re: Oil & Petrol Filters

Now I'm at home (tut, tut, using the firms e-mail earkier) I've had a look at my Jan 1929 List of Spare parts which shows the conical oil filter which appears to be as log as the filler tube and a cylindrical petrol tank strainer although it is not possible to see what the bottom looks like so I will go with the description by David Howe.
I rarely fill the tank at the filling station as it is difficult to see what is going on and I worry about splashing petrol over the manifold. I usually fill a 2 gallon can and then transfer it when the engine is cold. I don't know if the filters achieve anythin useful, it's just that it adds a little bit more authenticity.
Many thanks to all that have answered

Hello Ruairidh, yes please, pictures would be useful. I don't suppose you want to sell them?