Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Steering columns

I am trying to create a 'hybrid' steering arrangement where I want to mate an hour glass box with the stator tube and associated hand controls etc from a 1930 type. I seem to be having a problem getting the stator tube all the way down the later column (I would guess its fouling about the point it enters the steering box). Similarly, I'm a bit unsure of the construction of the earlier arrangement - is there another tube that the stator tube runs inside that the hand control 'indicator plate' (for lack of a better term) clamps to? Anyone else done this?

As ever, all help gratefully received.... Hugh

Re: Steering columns

Hugh

I have done the same thing ...sort of.....?

I converted to manual ignition advance a while ago and have a later hour glass column.
A Cornwall club member donated the bits that go on the steering wheel like the levers and plate etc etc. I then had to magic up the other tubing. I unfortunately did not keep a reference of the size, but as you suggest a stator tube runs down the inside of the column which I have clamped at the bottom were it just protrudes from the bottom of the steering box with the clamp that forms part of the bottom cover. I then clamped the mounting plate for the top section to the aforesaid stator tube. I then have only one tube for ignition control going down the centre of the stator with the correct lever at the steering wheel and a home made one at the engine end.
I know this is not much help to you , but at least you know it should be possible? I used scrap tubing that was lying around the garage some of which I think may have been gas piping?
Thinking about the steering column I seem to remember a step or diameter change down near the box? I will check my spare later on and let you know?

Good Luck

Steve.

Hi Steve - sounds promising... I've got a 1930 steering column to serve as a donor for all the parts. I have retrieved from that the two tubes that are for the ignition and throttle, they are released by removing the brass arms that connect to the control links/rods. The control plate is clamped onto another tube, which I *think* may be held in place by a nut at the bottom of the steering box, of this I am less sure. I guess I need that tube as well in the 'new' column, or something like it for the control plate to be mounted. That would indicate even more stuff to go down the centre of the hour glass column? I'll be interested to see your next posting! Cheers - Hugh

Re: Re: Steering columns

Hugh

I have looked at my spare hour glass column. It measures around 9/16 inch for the internal bore (approx allowing for some dirt and rust etc).
This measurement seems to go right down? I cannot see the diameter change I thought was there? Maybe the one on my car is different , which I cannot now see because it is assembled .
As far as clamping the bottom of the stator, the hour glass type has a bottom plate on the box that has a clamping arrangement and a felt seal, although I think I had to drill mine out bigger to allow my home made stator to pass through? Maybe this is your problem?

Regards

Steve

Hi
I do have a similar problem as follows :

I am rebuilding an Austin chummy from a box of bits (it was a big box),
all is going well until I came to reassemble the steering wheel controls,
I think there must be a bit missing because I don't seem to be able to assemble it properly to get it to work,
Dose any one have or knows we’re I can get an assembly drawing, picture or diagram to explain what go’s were.
It is very puzzling .
Brian

Basically all the earlier steering columns had 3 tubes down the middle. The stator tube is clamped at the underside of the steering box and 2 more tubes can rotate within the stor tube, one each for the ignition and throttle controls; friction on these is provided by the spring loaded adjusters on the back of the levers at the top. The single wire from the horn button goes through the middle of it all, and providing an earth for the horn when you press the button. I hope that makes sense and helps. I do not have an exploded view of it all.

Robert

I'm building a 1928 column just now out of bits and bought a new box casting and the 3 tubes needed from David Cochrane.

Finally managed to source a reasonable steering wheel as well so now can commence assembly. Will take photos as I go as I too struggled to see how it all worked, especially as I was missing so many bits.

The Austin partsbooks are beautifully drawn but a good set of exploded diagrams would be nice to have easily to hand.

Regards
Bill G

Bill,

you need one of these:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Austin-Seven-Centre-Ltd-Catalogue/dp/0947537007

They were reprinted recently and someone will know who now supplies them.

This very useful book is obtainable from the Pre War Austin Seven Club-see their website.

Hi Richard and Ruairidh

Jim in Melrose showed me one and I'd forgotten about them so will get one!

Many thanks for the suggestion.

Ruairidh Please drop in the next time your are down I Berwickshire

Bill

Thank you Richard.

Yes Bill, that would be good!

Thanks for all the help,
I think I have found the problems ,one of the control levers had approx 1.5mm play so I put 2 small grub screws in it to fix it to the tub and the inner tub was seized,so that took all morning to free.