Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Roadside repairs...

Here's a starter for 10. What have you managed to repair in your seven at the side of the road?

This is my mate and I in Ireland about 10 years back. The halshaft had broken about 100 miles from our destination in Dingle after a hard run from Belfast the previous day. I decided to change it there and then and we had the car driving again in under two hours.

Another trip was, again, in the Ulster heading for Argyll in February. As I got to the summit of the Rest and be Thankful Pass the flywheel came off. I took the engine out as it began to snow, we didn't have a socket big enough to fit the flywheel nut so we used a pair of molegrips, (did another 1500 miles before I did it up properly). Whilst all this was happening in blizzard conditions a bus load of Janpanese tourists stopped to take photos of us!

Whats your roadside reapair stories (and photos??)

Cheers

Ruairidh

Re: Roadside repairs...

Ooh yes, I remember it well!!!

love from the mate's wife!

And I think I've dried out from Loch Lomond - those bonnie bonnie grey banks!

Judy,

are you not going to spill the beans on the cabbie disaster last summer???

R

Was that really ten years ago???

Re: Re: Roadside repairs...

If you'd like a different story about Ruairidh's Cabbie, 30 years ago when Jenny & Ian Dunford were the custodians they offered my then wife and me the loan of it to tour the UK. It was completely in pieces, Pete Blackburn had restored the body & painted it, but it was bare, not even the glass. Well Ian & I threw everything on in a hurry (nothing repaired or restored, started Monday, MOT'd Friday. We did nearly 3000 miles in it - Bailleau Swap, Beilleau Rally, Nth. Herts, Longleat, Doune, Donington, TT Rally Isle of Man, Austin factory, Bristol A7C holiday on Scotland's lakes etc, spent time with Stanley Edge, - all the Austin 7 Meccas. Repaired radiator in London, changed (with help) crownwheel & pinion at Doune, otherwise no trouble much until we stayed with Ruth & Terry Poole in Havorford West. Said goodbywe in morning, toured around that area in West Wales then mid-morning was heading off to Brizzle when something in the engine went bang. Rolled onto a service station driveway, asked the owner if we could pull engine out there, he agreed as he had an Austin 10. By lunchtime I had the engine out and was just undoing the last sump bolt to see what was amiss (was sure the crank was broken) when purely by chance Terry came past that way on his way home for lunch in his Chummy. "Don't bother finding out what's wrong", said Terry, "jump in and come home with me". While he had lunch I loaded his back seat up with a spare engine, then he dropped me back to the car. By the time he knocked off from work and returned I was putting the finishing touches to the panels & we roadtested it - no problems. This called for a celebration at his local & resulted us in staying an extra night! From then on the car flew (it was a hotted donk) and we thoroughly enjoyed the loan. I have to say it's the quickest "get going again from something serious" I've been involved in. And the Cabbie lived on for more stories. Cheers, Bill in Oz