Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Front axle location

Anone noticed the front axle location on the chummy newly listed on e-bay

http://i22.ebayimg.com/04/i/000/a0/c0/8138_12.JPG

I expect it handles a little odd!

Re: Front axle location

This kind of mod. is made to self centre the steering...

R

The steering should self center without that extension plate which will probably bend when the brakes are applied. So what else is wrong with the arrangment to necessitate that mod. Dave

The springs are set far too high, the front probably by as much as the added plate.

Re: Re: Front axle location

Its also got coupled brakes a bit previous for 1929

I would not like to be in that Chummy when the brakes go on, I can feel the plate bending already...

That looks positivly dangerous, and that's from someone who is (occasionly) called reckless.

Sandy

Dave,

Have a read of my dads chairmans viewpoint in the 2007B association mag. He fitted a better thrust face on the bottom of the worm because the car would only self center in one direction. The steering is now much lighter and self centers both ways. This is a really easy mod to carry out, i probably ought do some drawings and write it up properly.

Cheers

Rob

To a certain extent it must have an effect on the castor angle, which would affect steering feel and centering? Moving the radius arm pivot up or down would also alter the roll centre, but as previously mentioned by Rob B this may not be important?

As you say it would seem to be fairly lightly constructed to take braking loads! But then again none of a Chummy is exactly over engineered!

Steve