Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
1933 Austin Seven

I Recently found a Seven in a barn. The owner is thinking about selling it but won't put a price on it and wants me to make an offer. I think it is a rare car as it is a model I have never seen before. The year is 1933 and it looks like a Ruby except it has a cabriolet top and Landow (SP?) bars on the rear sides of the top. The car is in good shape with no rust and running well. How can I find out the fair market value of this car? I have searched the net to no avail. Thanks,JL

Re: 1933 Austin Seven

What makes you think it's 1933 - The enclosed rad. style cars did not come in until July 1934 - Ruby, Opal, Pearl etc. The cabriolet is a 'Pearl'.

Rare? There are 164 Mk 1 and 25 Mk2 Pearls on the Register of Surviving A7's, their model type designation is 'ACA'.

Value? in a barn for many a year, unseen by the rest of us, new hood required? etc etc. I would say £1,000 - £1,500. but it's worth what you want to pay, but up and running on the road and everything in good order, roughly £4,500 forcourt price, but cheaper from a friend.

These are only ROUGH guidlines, it's down to what you think the value is and how much you are prepared to spend in recommisioning it - as a rule of thumb, cars out of Barns will cost at least twice as much to put on the road, looking (and being) good, as it's actual final value.

Sandy

Hi,

If you take the end value at £4500-£5500, then take away a decent paint job, £1000-£1500, a new hood etc. £1000, upholstery £1000-£2000 you can see how much the car is worth in the state that it is. This does not include all the mechanical bits you will need to get it back on the road. Obviously the more you can do yourself the cheaper the whole job will be.

If it is to be your first A7 then the best advice anyone can give you is buy a car that is on the road, use it and find whether you like it. Then look for a restoration project. Above all join your local club BEFORE bying anything.

But if you are like me then you file away the good advice and carry on and buy the restoration job !!

Sorry to be a bit of a Job's comforter, but my experience is that Cabriolets (I have a MkII) can be one of the most 'difficult' to restore, particularly from an 'upholstery' point of view - lots of little panels to make and cover. However, in saying that, I would argue they are one of the nicest, most practical models to own. All the joys of open motoring but with the advantage of coachbuilt doors and wind up windows...

If it's in that good condition, the Car & Chassis number plates should be easily found. This useful link will help you locate them. Then we will be able to tell you how old it is.

David

Re: Re: 1933 Austin Seven

Thank you to all that replied to my question about the 1933 A7. The information is a great help. I plan to go back to the barn tomorrow and take some pictures and at that time I will retreive all of the engine and body numbers. I guess I am going to make him an offer as he will not put a price on the car. Isn't it awful to be so addicted to these little cars that you can't live without them. 8^). Cheers, JL

PS. I there a way to post photos on this fourm?

Re: Re: Re: 1933 Austin Seven

Yes you can post the pics see earlier posts on the subject. Good Luck with the purchase.