Welcome to the Austin Seven Friends web site and forum

As announced earlier, this forum with it's respective web address will go offline within the next days!
Please follow the link to our new forum

http://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum

and make sure, you readjust your link button to the new address!

Welcome Austin seven Friends
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
Short chassis body or drawings wanted Gordon England

I've got togather most parts to make a short chassis rolling chassis, a body however has not yet been found, I did find a Cambridge SWB body, dismantled but complete at least as a pattern, what I really fancy though is a Gordon England Cup body, does anyone have a set of drawings for one so I can make the woodwork and cover it? There is no rush, the chassis kit is well down the 'to do' list anyway.

Re: Short chassis body or drawings wanted Gordon England

Hi Mark,

Tom Abernethy who pioneered the reproduction of these super bodies in the 1960's sold all of his jigs for these and also the "Brooklands" bodies to Keith Roach a few years back, find his prices at:

http://www.racecar.co.uk/roach/austin7.htm

Good luck,

Ruairidh

Re: Re: Short chassis body or drawings wanted Gordon England

I knew he had the jigs etc for both bodies, I'm specifically after a cup model (though I actually prefer the brooklands, chassis isn't the right era) but at £2,200 for just a body, no wings I'd like to have a go at making my own frame, the fabric covering is something I'm about to get a lot of practice at as I do annother larger vintage car! I doubt Kieth Roach would sell me a set of plans etc for the cup model, someone must have drawings somewhere!

Re: Re: Re: Short chassis body or drawings wanted Gordon England

You may have to take one apart,and do the measurements yourself as others beforeyou. Shouldnt take more than a few nundred hours.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Short chassis body or drawings wanted Gordon England

Ian's right (as usual). Apart from obtaining every exact measurement, I think unless you're a very experienced coachbuilder the task would only be frustrating & disappointing. As a body-builder for more than half of my working life I wouldn't attempt it with your lack of available info. And where would you obtain the ancillary bits such as windscreen fittings, bonnet with louvres etc without enormous expense? Suggest stick to the Cambridge, it's reasonably rare, much simpler, cheaper, and more importantly, being a special, just as much fun. Good Luck & Cheers, Bill in Oz

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Short chassis body or drawings wanted Gordon England

Sorry,not me this time Bill,but would agree with your comments for sure.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Short chassis body or drawings wanted Gordon England

Take one appart!!! Where are you suggesting to get one to dismantle, I haven't seen a cup body for sale for years. I thought about taking dimensions from one and making a body from that?

I can recommend Rodney Griffin in Leicestershire (01530 222148) who has an original body from which he took patterns. He made some very good quality bodies and made a super job of the fabric on my Cup. A very nice bloke and meticulous craftsman. Not as expensive as Roach either. He may well be OK with your taking bits away to work on them yourself. Where are you based?

David

Hi Mark , Send me an e-mail ! Cheers , Simon

Is £2200 for a work of art like a Cup body expensive when people are paying £500 odd for cambridge heads? There is a serious amount of work involved in making them. I have seen the Cup bodys Roach produced and the were very nice indeed, I would say they would look better un fabric covered but then thats not original.

I could not agree more Andrew...

Well said!

Cheers

Ruairidh